Is an SPG necessary with a wireless computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In this as in all matters, the idea of redundancy for safety is a good one. The fact is, equipping ourselves for a dive is not a fashion statement (ok, maybe incidentally) but one of having the proper equipment to visit and alien world safely for a while, a world in which, without accurate and constant instrument information feed back, we can make a mistake and mistake can be fatal. The point is to let that consideration be a part of all equipment choices.
DivemasterDennis

I too clip my SPG off on the right side because the transmitter is on the recommended by Uwatec left HP port of the first stage.

Off topic, but do you know why Uwatec recommends the left HP port for your transmitter? I would have assumed all HP ports were created equal.

The fact is, equipping ourselves for a dive is not a fashion statement (ok, maybe incidentally) but one of having the proper equipment to visit and alien world safely for a while, a world in which, without accurate and constant instrument information feed back, we can make a mistake and mistake can be fatal.
This seems unnecessarily dramatic. Constant instrument information feedback? In my case, constant means every ten minutes or so for the first 40 minutes, and then more frequently. Perhaps I'm courting an untimely demise, but it's hard for me to envision a scenario where my tank goes from almost full to empty in less than ten minutes without some sort of clue aside from my gauges. (And what is information feedback?)

Off topic, but do you know why Uwatec recommends the left HP port for your transmitter? I would have assumed all HP ports were created equal.

They probably expect you to wear it on your left wrist so having the transmitter on the left side gives you a better path for the signal.

I wear my computer on the right wrist and have the transmitter on the right side.

I'd say you should keep the SPG. I just got the Sol and when I turn it on it takes a while for it to connect. It may even turn off before the dive and then it has to reconnect. The problem is until connection you can't be sure the thing is going to work, and you don't want to wait a couple of minutes waiting. If you have a backup SPG you can confidently jump in and do the dive.

Adam

I dive with an Epic (wireless) and an SPG. I have never needed the SPG. If I lost the ability to view my air is that dive ending? Depends. 25-40ft dive, no. 100'ft dive, I would let my buddy know what is going on, turn around and go to the exit line or whatever, and do a slow ascent. So yes. I don't think I will ever suck my air dry, but keeping an eye on it is kinda important. However I dive with two computers and an SPG, so I think I am covered.

I've got a Vyper air + transmitter that I use on rec dives sometimes. I've only had one dive where the transmitter didn't sync and couldn't be used (didn't check it was synced properly before jumping in the water so I guess it's my fault). I'd say get an SPG (can be a small plastic one) and keep it clipped to your rig. An SPG is quite small and you won't notice it.

Assuming you'd call the dive if the transmitter didn't work/stopped working, this isn't so much about safety but about not missing a dive. The dive where it didn't sync was on the Spiegel Grove, missing that one might not be much of an issue for Florida locals, but as a tourist, I would have been pissed if hadn't had my SPG to continue the dive.

I know a lot of people like to diss the transmitters, but getting all info (time, pressure, depth) with quick look at your wrist is really nice, and should keep all but the most dumb ass divers from running out of air.

Another alternative would be to have a pony pressure gauge on your first stage. No hose but analog backup in case of emergency.

Back
Top Bottom