Quiz...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DC53

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A diver is on 30% Nitrox at 130 FSW. 15 minutes after reaching the bottom, while swimming near a peculiar outcropping of rock, a large octopus shoots out and locks a tentacle around his neck hard enough to completely close both carotid arteries, but somehow leaving the trachea partially open. The diver maintains a working regulator in his mouth. The tentacle cannot be loosened by any means. 180-240 seconds after the octopus grabs the diver, what will be the gas phase equivalent PPO2 concentration in his cerebral arterial blood supply in atmosphreres?

A. greater than 2.

B. about 1.5

C. between 0.3 and 1.5

D. less than 0.16

E. Cannot be determined from the information given.

At 240 seconds what is the gas equivalent PPO2 concentration in the coronary arterial circulation?

A. greater than 2.

B. about 1.5

C. between 0.3 and 1.5

D. less than 0.16

E. Cannot be determined from the information given.

question 1- b 1.5 ata
question 2- e
but i imagine if both carotid arteries were closed you may have other issues then pp02.

Question 1 is C

Question 2 is D

After 15 minutes of exceeding his recommended MOD he's got other issues.

IMHO the answer to both questions is e. Your question is vague and absurd. If you are trying to determine at what rate will the body tissue metabolize O2, then why not just ask that. I would refer you to Dr. Wienke writing on the oxygen window and inherent unsaturation.

hey OSAAT, i tried and answered the quiz and i like it, it make one think and try and figure something out, i just hope that in some time we will get the right answers and an explanation as to why..(if your not pls message me the answers and why thx). as for the negative posts sadly scubaboard is a place where some people vent off.... but many are here just to be part of the diving community and learn.

After 15 minutes of exceeding his recommended MOD he's got other issues.
How is that? 1.6 on 30% is 143' and the diver should have 45 min at that depth before worrying about "other issues". At 130', the diver is only at 1.47, not a significant exposure for 15 min. The octopus is obviously the main worry.

Any smart diver would grab his/her knife, slice off the tentacle, take it home and boil it for tako sushi or tacos de pulpo, so this is clearly a trick question.

I get:

1. C (diver starts at 1.47, less some cellular metabolism)
2. E (depends on the volume of inspired air at the time of the octopus attack)

Ok, are some thoughts I prepared for my tech discussion group. I didn't post my "answers" as I think that understanding the subject matter or getting people thinking about it is more important. Blast me and bye bye. I don't want to waste time upsetting anyone including myself.

Attachments

• Quiz discussion.doc
    31 KB · Views: 112
How is that? 1.6 on 30% is 143' and the diver should have 45 min at that depth before worrying about "other issues". At 130', the diver is only at 1.47, not a significant exposure for 15 min. The octopus is obviously the main worry.

Any smart diver would grab his/her knife, slice off the tentacle, take it home and boil it for tako sushi or tacos de pulpo, so this is clearly a trick question.

I get:

1. C (diver starts at 1.47, less some cellular metabolism)
2. E (depends on the volume of inspired air at the time of the octopus attack)

A PPO2 of 1.4 is what is recommended on the bottom by all of the training agencies I am aware of. SO, a PPO2 of 1.47 would be a tad hot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom