Wet O Ring in my Cannon Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm testing my UW camera set up prior to my trip next week. I have a G10, WP DC 38 and Sea and Sea Y01. Everything is working well EXCEPT one thing: The o ring in the housing was wet after the camera was submerged for 10 min. The housing's inside was completely dry as was the camera. Is this something I need to worry about? If so, how do I fix it?

Should I leave the o ring inside the housing when I travel or put it in a plastic baggie and lock it inside the housing? Thanks.

Matt

Hi All,

I'm testing my UW camera set up prior to my trip next week. I have a G10, WP DC 38 and Sea and Sea Y01. Everything is working well EXCEPT one thing: The o ring in the housing was wet after the camera was submerged for 10 min. The housing's inside was completely dry as was the camera. Is this something I need to worry about? If so, how do I fix it?

Should I leave the o ring inside the housing when I travel or put it in a plastic baggie and lock it inside the housing? Thanks.

Matt
The o ring will get water on it since the plastic case is not watertight. The o ring is the barrier between the inside and outside of the housing.

I never leave the o-ring in the housing for travel or storage. I clean it, recoat it with silicone grease, and store naturally coiled in a ziplock baggy. I do the same thing for the strobe and lens port o-rings as well.

Honestly though, I can't remember the o-ring EVER being wet after a dive, that would concern me. If it were me, I'd carefully clean the channel and o-ring, regrease, then reinstall on the housing and do another test.

I never leave the o-ring in the housing for travel or storage. I clean it, recoat it with silicone grease, and store naturally coiled in a ziplock baggy. I do the same thing for the strobe and lens port o-rings as well.

Honestly though, I can't remember the o-ring EVER being wet after a dive, that would concern me. If it were me, I'd carefully clean the channel and o-ring, regrease, then reinstall on the housing and do another test.
If the o ring was dry that would mean that your plastic (or aluminum) housing was keeping out all moisture without benefit of the o ring.

think about the physics of the o-ring. You have a ring in a groove that is squished by a flat plate compressing the o-ring. Good compression is about 7% or a bit more so there needs to be a gap between the flat plate and the plate that holds the o-ring. It has to get wet, but you most likely don't notice since if it is greased correctly it will be very hydrophobic and water won't stick.
Bill

Something else for you to check on your Canon housing are the so called "mold release" marks. They are supposedly a result of the housing manufacturing process. There are four of them in the O-ring groove on the housing door. I point them out on this page of MY WEBSITE.

There has been a lot of discussions on those mold release marks causing some Canon housings to leak. I cannot confirm or deny that.

My G10 housing had very faint mold release marks. However my G12 housing had more pronounced ones so I gently sanded them down with 800 wet/dry sandpaper being careful not to widen the groove while doing so.

You may want to check your housing for the size of those release marks?

Back
Top Bottom