Oceanic delta 4 first stage ringng, what to do.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnsona1503

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Bought 2 Oceanic Delta 4's. My 1st stage rings and screams after geeting below 25 meters and from then on at shallower depths.
They had their first annual last year and was told this happens sometimes. This is the third MX trip it has put big annoyance on our tropical dives.
since it happened again. The wifes 1st stage never does this and is treated the same as in proper cleaning and handling of equipment and same profiles.
I get them serviced annualy and had mine looked at twice last year as were were able to make 2 Coz trips in one year.

I am taking them in next week to get serviced. Would you buy a new first stage or have a serious discussion with the shop owner that sold you the regs.
and services them? Is this a defective reg or bad service parts or just me?

The delta 4's were doing this when they first came out but to be correct it is not the delta 4. That is the second stage. The source of the ringing/honking is the FDX10 first stage and the DVT. The primary fix was to replace the bullet and spring in the DVT. The dvt bullet and spring created a harmonic or ringing due to the design/composition of the bullet and the spring that it rested in. A burr on the DVT bullet was usually the cause and a replacement was provided and supposed to be done at the next scheduled service or when the customer requested it. Frankly I don't like the DVT. It adds another moving part that can fail, and it breeds complacency by divers thinking that they can dunk their regs and not hurt them. Fact is deeper than about a foot or running water from a hose is enough to allow water in. Plus it added $100 or more to the cost of the reg for about $2 worth of parts. Take it in and have them change the bullet and spring or better yet get rid of the DVT.

I'm diving an Omega II CDX 4, I think
today, that hasn't been touched in ten years

Your service person would have absolutely
no idea that it hasn't been touched in ten years

The delta 4's were doing this when they first came out but to be correct it is not the delta 4. That is the second stage. The source
of the ringing/honking is the FDX10 first stage and the DVT. The primary fix was to replace the bullet and spring in the DVT. The dvt bullet and spring created a
harmonic or ringing due to the design/composition of the bullet and the spring that it rested in. A burr on the DVT bullet was usually the cause and a replacement was
provided and supposed to be done at the next scheduled service or when the customer requested it. Frankly I don't like the DVT. It adds another moving part that can
fail, and it breeds complacency by divers thinking that they can dunk their regs and not hurt them. Fact is deeper than about a foot or running water from a hose is
enough to allow water in. Plus it added $100 or more to the cost of the reg for about $2 worth of parts. Take it in and have them change the bullet and spring or better
yet get rid of the DVT.

Well Jim, your exactly right about the first stage being the FDX 10, don't know why I messed that up. Thanks for the information that I can talk to the service tech
about repairing it.

What do you mean by getting rid of the DVT? Trade in the FDX 10 or can they just remove that part of the first stage?

Well Jim, your exactly right about the first stage being the FDX 10, don't know why I messed that up. Thanks for the information that I can talk to the service tech
about repairing it.

What do you mean by getting rid of the DVT? Trade in the FDX 10 or can they just remove that part of the first stage?

The FDX-10 can be changed to a non-dvt. That was an excellent (and quiet) first stage until Oceanic decided to "upgrade" it. When the DVT model was introduced, some of the DVT's were noisy, but, after the bullet change was made-----some were still noisy. It is still an excellent first stage, just that some are noisy. I had a regular dive buddy whose DVT (after change) my old ears could hear from 20 feet away. Sometimes the "latest and greatest" ain't so great.

Aeris has the same problem with their DVTs. I have one customer who asked me to de-DVT her reg because she found the noise objectionable. I did it and she's a happy camper now. In my experience, whether a DVT is noisy or not is a crapshoot. Some are, some aren't. And, it doesn't seem to matter when the bullet is replaced. I wouldn't have one on my reg, but then, I wouldn't have an Aeris or Oceanic reg. I love my Zeagle!

BTW, for those who didn't know, Aeris and Oceanic are essentially the same company. Their regs are very similar and their rebuild kits are almost interchangeable.

Back
Top Bottom