Dive Computer Cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P1010779.JPG

I don't see any Edge :wink:

Yeah, another box in another state.

Not to mention I ran out of table, under all that stuff are a dozen tables, and wheels, discs, floppys....

May have to resurrect it when my eyes start to go

I appreciate everyones reply. I should have added that I'm 60+, really not that enthused with computers and have watched the cost of laptops etc. drop by two thirds in the last couple years. Just sayin.

Thanks

I didn't read all the responses. However, last year I bought my aeris atmos ai computer from amazon for $400. The next cheapest place was like $750, so yeah I got a steal. It was brand new and everything.

Just search high and low and you will find good deals. There was no way I was dropping $800 on a dive computer... nope.

You all seem pretty knowledgeable about dive computers so Ihope you don’t mind if I toss in my own dive computer question that kinda goesalong the same lines of cost. Are there any computers specifically recommendedfor young teen divers?

Obviously I’m looking for ease of use as well as costefficient.

Any advice is welcome, as I don’t recall ever seeinganything addressing this topic. (Hope I didn’t high-jack your thread,MKCochran. ) If there is a thread already on this…. Please just point me to it.Thanks all!

I appreciate everyones reply. I should have added that I'm 60+, really not that enthused with computers and have watched the cost of laptops etc. drop by two thirds in the last couple years. Just sayin.

Thanks

I'll quote from a reply I made to another thread- diving is an incredibly small business (PADI says they certified about 75,000 divers per month in 2010- worldwide) that means all the components are made in tiny volumes and cost far more than consumer products. One component manufacturer we would love to be able to use won't deal with you unless you guarantee 200,000 units per month. There might be not much more than 100,000 dive computers sold globally per year- all manufacturers.

Most divers have no sense of how tiny the diving market is. If a dive computer were able to capture 100% of the market, it would still be an infinitesimally tiny blip- utterly invisible- in the consumer electronics world. Anything you see in a mass market retailer is being sold at volumes that dwarf the biggest selling products in diving. The unit cost to manufacture consumer electronics is therefore much, much less. Consumer electronics manufacturers and retailers can operate off far thinner profit margins than diving (ask your LDS if they could keep the doors open on a 5-15% markup) because they can have volumes in the hundreds of thousands or millions... Comparing costs in the diving market to consumer electronics is just not going to tell you anything useful. I wish it were not so, but unless we can convince as many people to dive as watch TV, we are in a small market, and sophisticated design will be expensive.

original thread at Thread: Why are OLED dive computers so expensive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom