Any interest in a NE GUE/UTD social group or forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After talking to you this afternoon I think that a sub forum under North East US would be the best. Sure, a social group might work to get started but I don't think that it would have as much exposure and use as a sub forum.

As far as other divers in the NE and various trips, Scuba Shack (Ed Hayes' shop) often has "Drive and Dives" in the MA, CT, RI areas. While they aren't a strictly GUE shop, Ed runs a bunch of Primer and Fudies courses a year so I can only assume there will be some GUE trained divers out diving. While outside of SB, these might provide a good opportunity to meet like minded divers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can i ask for a GUE/UTD sub-forum which would be non regional specific and not under the DIR Sub-forum and require membership to post in?

if there is the following the GUE and UTD areas can be spilt at a later date.

i think the NE one is a good idea but under an umbrella of a larger sub-forum (which is not the DIR one), i personally would like a mid-south/South one (NC, VA, SC, GA,FL, etc.) to hook up with local divers.

The thought would be to have a public forum so everyone can read it, but only members could post.

That takes a lot of work and based on the lack of success of the DPF sub-forum seems to be counter productive to communication...

I've never heard of the NEUE, so thanks for the link, Lewis.

I like the idea if we can keep it from becoming another place to bash GUE/UTD and their system of diving. If the posters took some GUE/UTD training and dive the system then the forum will be a healthy place to connect GUE/UTD divers on dives, on trips and in discussions of the system.

If it’s another forum for posters to ask why this is clipped off to that, why this is worn on the right or left side and why this is done this way, then *no*, cause we already have a forum for it and it is titled with the dreaded “D” word.

You cannot understand a system in piecemeal or in fragments from internet postings and too often those are the threads or discussions I see and I have no interest in participating in those threads/forums.
If we can have a forum where divers who like the system and dive the system come together, hell yes, let's go for it.

I doubt that a regional forum will attract the kind of nonsense you get here on the main forum.

Moths are generally going to get attracted to the bigger flame...

The thought would be to have a public forum so everyone can read it, but only members could post.

I dont see how this feature would serve any purpose. Why do we care if non members post? Sure it would help keep the riff raff out, but ignoring them works too. Silence is an option grasshopper :wink:

I think the word, social group confused a few people. The intent is not to encourage chat type communication, but like I said, trips, training announcements, buddy matchups etc. The 2 types of "venues" available on SB are either a Social Group or a regular forum. I personally do not have any experience in the social groups, but think it might be a good place to start until interest increases. There are some other DIR groups in the Regional section, not much activity however. It is a bit buried and it looks like they do not have all the functionality as the forums, stickies, not sure about email notifications, which was one question I received.

I think if this is made to be just a social forum, it will die a quick, untimely death. Why bother, start small as a sub forum and build it up from there.

can i ask for a GUE/UTD sub-forum which would be non regional specific and not under the DIR Sub-forum and require membership to post in?

i think the NE one is a good idea but under an umbrella of a larger sub-forum (which is not the DIR one), i personally would like a mid-south/South one (NC, VA, SC, GA,FL, etc.) to hook up with local divers.

The solution to your first question seems like a bit of a duplication of effort of the forums that already exist under the DIR heading.

You mention something I was actually considering, based on population, perhaps an East Coast GUE/ UTD group would be more appropriate. There is awesome diving up and down the east coast with pockets of GUE trained divers, but maybe not a large enough following to support multiple regional forums.

That takes a lot of work and based on the lack of success of the DPF sub-forum seems to be counter productive to communication...

Interesting, the other DIR forums have nothing visible and encourage DIR curious members, the DPF forum is visible with DIR faithful only membership . . . my thought was something in the middle. There already exists areas for team diving curious people to ask questions, I saw no reason to duplicate that online. There is plenty of real life regional Q&A and non members can always PM members with additional questions :D

Why do we care if non members post?

I think if this is made to be just a social forum, it will die a quick, untimely death. Why bother, start small as a sub forum and build it up from there.

Well, if the goal of the group is to dive with other GUE trained people, there will not be any way to tell the difference amongst members from those with and without the training, unless membership is limited to those with training. The example I am thinking of is people traveling from outside the area or within the area for buddy matching.

Well, there are plenty of active social forums, so I don't exactly agree with the quick untimely death bit, it will be what the members make of it. If we can't keep a social group going, we got no business being a forum :D

I have not posted but have been reading with some interest , both the GUE/UTD are top notch and each compliment each other ,trying to find partners with this mindset is difficult depending on where you live or dive . I am out of the Boston area and have dove Boston harbor for years .

Currently I am overseas in Afghanistan there is no diving but into bunkers when the sirens go off LOL... I am a member of UTD and am scheduled to do some training with them the end of the month , I will be in the Philippines for 10 days of training this with UTD staff in Manila ,these guys specialize in sidemount and cave diving ,I dove with them before while doing some padi training (MSD) .

I do not plan on staying in the middle east forever and do return home several times per year and would love to dive and share what I have picked up ,with those that share the desire to dive . So you can count me in .

Late to the conversation, but would love to have a spot to check for upcoming regional dives and training opportunities. I don't much care if it's labeled DIR, GUE/UTD, or Hogarthian Dreadnaughts. But it sure would be nice to go diving with folks on the same page re: configuration, technique and protocols.

Call it what you will. Get it started and see where it goes. Ice diving season is almost here!

Stay wet... avra

As this group comes together, we will support it fully from UTD's HQ...trips, training info, help putting teams together, whatever we can do. Just let us know.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom