diving key largo suggestions for dry suit undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GNeto

New
Reaction score
hello,
Diving Key Largo end of May Diving dry suite and was wondering what one would suggest for thermal protection given the dry suite will offer none. I'm diving dry out of nessesity. I was thinking I may be able to get by with a layer of underarmor, but looking for suggetions. Thanks

Unless you get cold easily, the underarmor should be fine. I dive in the keys frequently, and just wear a dive skin. On wreck dives, maybe a 2 mil shorty.

why is this in the dive flag subforum?
When I have that type of diving I wear a long sleeve t-shirt and a pair of pajama pants. Underarmor doesn't offer any inherent thermal protection, instead it wicks moisture away from the body. this can either heat or cool you, but either way, if there is nowhere for that moisture to go, it may end up making you colder than you would be otherwise. You have to have some sort of absorbent layer for that moisture to go in the form of a tshirt or something. Not sure of the necessity to dive dry, but bring a long sleeve tshirt, pair of pajama pants and a light fleece pullover or non hooded sweatshirt. Water may be warm but 76 degree water will kill you, just takes a bit longer

Water temps should be warming up to the mid to hi 70s in May. Air temps in the sun/on the boat will of course be much warmer. Chances are you will get warm gearing up so Underarmor is a good choice with it's ability to wick sweat away from your body. If you tend to get chilled at depth, maybe layer another thermal shirt or even a thin fleece vest.

Welcome to Key Largo :wavey:

Jeez, at the end of May in Key Largo in a drysuit, all you need are shorts and a t-shirt.

What Tim Winters said.

If one dives steel doubles you are pretty much stuck with the drysuit.

I wouldn't wear shorts and a t-shirt under a drysuit even in May.

The water will still most likely be in the lower to mid 70's

Maybe some light weight fleece pants and a top (like skiwear). Certainly not 400gram fleece or polar type gear. Personally, I think long underwear just wouldn't be enough thermal protection.

If one dives steel doubles you are pretty much stuck with the drysuit.

While this really isn't the forum to debate procedures and all... I'll just say, "I don't think so..."

He may be talking about shorts and t-shirt only (with no exposure suit).

On a related note, I'll be diving the Vandy around New Years. I'll be bringing a 3/+vest or 5 mil; but I just bought a DUI TLS350 and will probably bring that too. What undergarments would be good for those depths at New Years in the TLS?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom