Useless Dive Flag in Rainbow River, Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am surprised as to how many boaters do not know what a dive flag is. The wallpaper on my computer at work is a dive flag. One day one of the other guys said "your computer looks like a Van Halen album". He has a boat and fishes a lot so I was really surprised that he didn't know what it was. I explained to him that it is a dive flag and the Van Halen album is "Diver Down" hence the cover design.
I used to have a boat and a jet ski and I knew the rules that apply to operating them. It is amazing how many people are out on the water who can't tell you even one rule that applies to boating.

The same people you see driving to and from work everyday? Some of them have boats that they don't drive any better.

Now you see JP, why I'm so reluctant to dive the public waterways of KY. If you think FL is bad, where most have at least some inkling of the rules,..... now imagine some drunk red neck in a boat doing his bass fishin'. you get the picture. Boaters in KY have absolutely no clue what a "diver down" flag is. Many don't even know what a scuba diver is.

As I see below, someone beat me to it.
I am surprised as to how many boaters do not know what a dive flag is. The wallpaper on my computer at work is a dive flag. One day one of the other guys said "your computer looks like a Van Halen album". He has a boat and fishes a lot so I was really surprised that he didn't know what it was. I explained to him that it is a dive flag and the Van Halen album is "Diver Down" hence the cover design.
I used to have a boat and a jet ski and I knew the rules that apply to operating them. It is amazing how many people are out on the water who can't tell you even one rule that applies to boating.

I just figured all those boaters were VH fans :). I know my nephew and I are huge VH fans so our surface interval will probably involve said album :eyebrow: :D

Honestly, I would have no patience for some of the way these people are acting. On the one hand you dont just want to act stupidly or too aggressively and give divers a bad rep., but if someone could possibly be hurting my (anchor droping on me, ect.) and were doing it even though they know better, they are going to find that anchor grounded. I would say to cut it, but then they'd probably chase after you making it even more dangerous. Knowing the flag is everyone who is on the waters responsibility. You dont have t

I wouldn't assume boaters know what a dive flag is. I attach a diver below banner to my dive flag buoy similar to this: diver_below_1.JPG

I wouldn't assume boaters know what a dive flag is. I attach a diver below banner to my dive flag buoy similar to this: View attachment 108067

Good idea, but if you're adding a written banner fro those who don't know the flag, you may as well write "Submarine Minefield. Do not approach."

I can promise you that if someone drops an anchor on me I will promptly locate their drain plug. If you know there are divers in the area, you don't DROP anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom