arghhh Red Cross!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my call recently. I have "babies blood", CMV negative. The local banks bag me in pink. I found out after 911 when there was a glut of blood (donors) and they were still calling me. I challenged it with the blood bank techs and discussed with MD friends. I guess I'm special. :) In addition to infants and expectant moms, my blood is given to patients with compromised immune systems.

Happy Holidays. I'll be in a chair over the weekend.

I got my call recently. I have "babies blood", CMV negative.

Oh yes me too :) A nurse told me a few donations ago when I was asking what the blood is tested for and so on. She says they don't test all blood for CMV though.

Well..as I understand it CMV is very common (Most over 40 are infected.). But when people are infected, the body "encapsulates" the virus, like an option on a viruside program. But with newborns and others who don't have the stongest immune systems, it can be tragic. I'll do my part. Welcome to the Tribe. :)

She says they don't test all blood for CMV though.

According to Wiki, 58.9% of individuals aged 6 and older are infected with CMV while 90.8% of individuals aged 80 and older are positive for CMV.

They don't test if you are already CMV positive. They only test new donors and CMV negative donors for CMV. Anyone who is CMV negative can still get the infection so that's why they test CMV negative donors during each donation.

From Wiki: "CMV assays are part of the standard screening for non-directed blood donations (donations not specified for a particular patient) in the U.S., the UK and many other countries. CMV-negative donations are then earmarked for transfusion to infants or immunocompromised patients. Some blood donation centers maintain lists of donors whose blood is CMV negative due to special demands."

According to Wiki, 58.9% of individuals aged 6 and older are infected with CMV while 90.8% of individuals aged 80 and older are positive for CMV.

They don't test if you are already CMV positive. They only test new donors and CMV negative donors for CMV. Anyone who is CMV negative can still get the infection so that's why they test CMV negative donors during each donation.

From Wiki: "CMV assays are part of the standard screening for non-directed blood donations (donations not specified for a particular patient) in the U.S., the UK and many other countries. CMV-negative donations are then earmarked for transfusion to infants or immunocompromised patients. Some blood donation centers maintain lists of donors whose blood is CMV negative due to special demands."

Yes she said it was about 50% in Australia. If for some reason I am no longer CMV negative do they tell you at the blood donation? Or do you just ask each time you go?

Back
Top Bottom