Mis-aligned fiber optic ports in E-pl1 housing PT-EP01

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brucetrinity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted this in another thread (a thread with Phil Rudin's pics) without response so I thought I would try a new thread. I have a problem with the alignment of the fiber optic ports in the PT-EP01. The ports are too far apart. As viewed from the back, the left (with the external guard) is not too bad (and works okay) but the right is so far out of alignment (too far to the right or center of housing) as to be unreliable. The right port is actually in line with the outside edge of the pop-up flash and not in line with the flash tube. This causes the right port to either not fire the strobe or not work correctly as TTL (the turn off pulse is blocked). When using 2 strobes, the one closest to the center of the housing may not fire. Anyone else have this problem? I have a possible fix but haven't tested in the water (it now works correctly on the test bench).

I wonder if a reflective shield might redirect the light? It would have to be on the housing, maybe hot glued...

If that does not seem a good approach, you could bore another hole in the fiber plug to the camera, or fit this plug on two cords ($3!):

Inon Double Hole Fiber Optic Plug (Rubber Bush Plug) [ino.456212143565] - $3.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Another option is this double cord ($140):

Inon Double Optical Cable (L Type) [ino.456212143440] - $140.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

I wonder if a reflective shield might redirect the light? It would have to be on the housing, maybe hot glued...

If that does not seem a good approach, you could bore another hole in the fiber plug to the camera, or fit this plug on two cords ($3!):

Inon Double Hole Fiber Optic Plug (Rubber Bush Plug) [ino.456212143565] - $3.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Another option is this double cord ($140):

Inon Double Optical Cable (L Type) [ino.456212143440] - $140.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Thanks. The double plug is a decent solution. What I have done (still awaiting an in-water test) is to make a gasket of felt (one side adhesive) that fits in the housing around the two ports and pushes the pop-up flash back about 1/8th inch. Now the articulated flashtube housing is not blocking the port and the whole assembly is still sealed to the housing to prevent light spillover onto the lens. I was wondering if the E-PL2 and later housings have the same problem. It's as if the housing was designed for a much wider pop-up flash. Very weird.

I would caution against using felt, because of the heat from the flash. It's just me, but I would worry about fire. All that light energy gets absorbed and converted to heat inside the housing.

Bruce,

Not sure I understand how your housing and camera are different from all the other E-PL1 cameras and housings that work very well with the fiber optic arrangement. It appears to me they would all work the same. Any photos of your "mis-aligned" camera and housing?

Phil Rudin

Bruce,

Not sure I understand how your housing and camera are different from all the other E-PL1 cameras and housings that work very well with the fiber optic arrangement. It appears to me they would all work the same. Any photos of your "mis-aligned" camera and housing?

Phil Rudin

Actually, I don't think I'm the only one. This is from one of your threads:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Seaquoit

Phil - great photos. I have recently bought a PL1 with PT housing and hope to get into the water with it soon. I only have a UFL-1 strobe, but I will see how it goes. Perhaps it is just me, but I think that the camera flash and the two housing optical ports are not quite in alignment - the ports are too far apart I think. The left hand one (nearest the zoom wheel) gives a stronger output than the other so the ttl (using a fibre cable) varies between the ports. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I'll shoot some pics and provide measurements.

Bruce

First that is not how TTL works. All that happens is that when the camera flash turns on the external strobes turn on and then the camera strobe turns off the external strobes turn off. One strobe would not stay on longer or burn brighter because of a stroger light from the camera strobe. If you set the camera strobe to manual at say 1/4 power and both external strobes go off then they should both TTL when set to TTL. All the camera strobe is doing is turning the external strobes on and off. It does not matter if you use full power or 1/64th power the strobes will still put out the ammount of light they are set for in manual and the same is true for TTL.

Phil Rudin

First that is not how TTL works. All that happens is that when the camera flash turns on the external strobes turn on and then the camera strobe turns off the external strobes turn off. One strobe would not stay on longer or burn brighter because of a stroger light from the camera strobe. If you set the camera strobe to manual at say 1/4 power and both external strobes go off then they should both TTL when set to TTL. All the camera strobe is doing is turning the external strobes on and off. It does not matter if you use full power or 1/64th power the strobes will still put out the ammount of light they are set for in manual and the same is true for TTL.

Phil Rudin

Not what I'm saying ....
For example, in manual mode at 1/4, the 2nd (rightmost strobe/innermost fiber optic port) will FAIL to fire sometimes (frequently).

In wireless E-TTL mode, it may fail to fire the rightmost strobe entirely, or fail to fire the pre-flash, or the subsequent calculated flash. It would appear that sometimes, in E-TTL, the 2 pre-flashes are correct, the calculation is performed based on both pre-flashes, but only the left strobe is then fired (and at roughly half of the calculated value). Of course this all happens so fast it's not possible to visibly confirm the pre-flash/"real" flash sequence.

Both of my UFL-2's exhibit the same symptom when swapped. Both of my strobes are on the same channel and group.

You may have oversimplified wireless E-TTL on digital cameras .... the UFL-2 strobes and the E-PL1 in wireless E-TTL mode mimic the popup strobe operation and requires the pre-flash to calculate the strobe intensity. From Olympus: "The flash group, channel and settings are then set up on the flash units. When the camera shutter is tripped, the camera’s built-in flash emits a very high-speed burst of data in a pre-flash that commands the performance of the flash units". What you described for TTL is similar to how TTL works on film cameras or how Auto mode works on most strobes (at-the-strobe sensing instead of camera body sensing). I'm not sure of the exact E-TTL methodology for Olympus but I am familiar with Canon and Nikon .... I believe Olympus is similar enough.

In the below pics, the center-to-center of the ports is 15mm. The outside-edge of clear portion port 1 to outside-edge of clear portion port 2 is 21mm. The length of the flashtube lens is 16mm. The actual flashtube is 14mm.

Please note that even if the alignment were perfect, the flashtube is only 14mm long and the outside-to-outside of the ports are 21mm. In order to get the flashtube to cover both ports, the ports would need to be about 10mm center-to-center ... or .... the flashtube would need to be about 21mm long.

It looks like the designers didn't account for the width of the 2 black sides next to the flashtube on the popup.

The alignment (as shown) is off center and the innermost port is about 90% covered by the popup cover.

Conversely, as shown in the last 2 pictures, the E-520 housing has ports that are center-to-center 10mm and the flashtube is 19mm long. Or, to put it another way, both of the ports are within the width of the E-520 flashtube (and the alignment is correct .... no offset). You can actually see that the gap between ports is wider on the E-PL1 housing than on the E-520 housing.

align1.jpg

align2.jpg

align3.jpg

align4.jpg

align5.jpg

What I am saying is that several hundred of these housing have sold, all with the same alignment of fiber ports to on-board strobe and most if not all are working the way they were designed to work. I would look to the problem being with the way the fiber cord has been cut to fit into the rubber optic plug or the way the optic plug was cut when it was new, as the plugs arrive without the plug being cut. Try trimming a bit the the black cover off the fiber optic cord so that you have more fiber exposed. If you are seeing a flash of light in both port windows when you fire the camera with the port plugs removed then the system should work with the plugs in.

Phil Rudin

The gasket between the housing and flash assembly has resolved the problem. With a gasket in place the flashtube is about 3/16 inch further back and is no longer blocked by the housing. The centermost optic port is not directly lined up but it's good enough to improve the output. Before installing the gasket the 2 ports output was visibly different (one bright, the other very dim).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom