Advice for Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for Kona Honu - We used them and they made our dives and trip to Hawaii a most memorable one, we did two trips with them, a 2 tank day/Manta Night Dive which was one of the coolest things I have ever seen, and then a 2 tank Day dive, all in all, it was perfect, we were there in June, temps were perfect, water was warm, we used 3mm suits that we brought with us, but at the night dive we did get a little chilly, we will be bringing our 3mm and 7mm this next trip, we are going back the middle of may next year, cant wait!

I stayed in a condo North of Lahaina - and ended up traveling up & down the coast multiple times per day to visit everywhere else.

More stuff to see & do around Kihei, especially the Makena state park area. The condos were cheaper & nicer on the North-West corner, but you cannot travel the Northern route, it's similar to the trip to Hana - very winding roads, 15 MPH.

The southern part, right in the middle, is quite flat. Paia is nice, up North to the right of Kahului, but strong surf & swells, compared to the South.

If you want to visit the volcano rim at the highest point, do so early in your trip. You cannot go up there after doing some dives - you're AOW now you should know that. I'm just making sure.

Chartered Boat Trips
- Extended Horizons, for No Name & Cathedrals, cast off from Malaa Ramp in Lahaina
- Mike Severns, cast off from Kihei to go to Molokini

For boat charters - ask and pay - extra 5$ for a steel tank. You'll be happy for the extra bottom time.

Thanks for the updates.

I met this diver on HMS Yukon dive in San Diego and he swore by Kona Honu.

We usually stay in the Ka'anapali area. We try and stay at the Westin. Wife likes the fact is close to shopping without having to drive and the kids like the slides in the pool.

We've been to the sunrise on Haleakala crater, stopped at this little place the Kula Lodge for breakfast on way home.

Appreciate all the advise on dive operations and places. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom