Car keys and other small items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've taken my chipped key surfing, diving, wade fishing, and in the pool for years in my pocket with absolutely no problems at all! Until this post I never even thought about it. I wouldn't advise leaving the keys on your tire or gas cap since thats the first place thief's check near parking lots at the beach...

I used to put my key in the gas tank door or under the bumper but my friend was diving near Fort Williams, Maine and some predators must have been watching because many of the divers who stashed their keys on their vehicles had their ipods/cash stolen while on the dive. I now detach the electronic fob, lock the truck and keep the key in a BCD pocket if I'm diving at a lake or shore.

Really small items (car keys and dimes) might fit into a Spare Air that you aren't using.

Theft is one of the biggest problems for shore divers. Yes, you can take some small things with you. But what do you do with your clothes, shoes, towels, save a dive kit, second scuba tank, coolers, lunch, beer, your Labrador, etc. etc.?

On another SB thread there as a good discussion about lockable cargo boxes that can be bolted into the bed of a pickup truck. If I was doing a lot of shore diving that would be my option.

Theft is one of the biggest problems for shore divers. Yes, you can take some small things with you. But what do you do with your clothes, shoes, towels, save a dive kit, second scuba tank, coolers, lunch, beer, your Labrador, etc. etc.?

On another SB thread there as a good discussion about lockable cargo boxes that can be bolted into the bed of a pickup truck. If I was doing a lot of shore diving that would be my option.

For those of us without pickup trucks, I'm starting to think that driving a beater car and leaving nothing valuable in plain sight might be the best choice, at least when it comes to having to leave the car parked in unsupervised spots.

For those of us without pickup trucks, I'm starting to think that driving a beater car and leaving nothing valuable in plain sight might be the best choice, at least when it comes to having to leave the car parked in unsupervised spots.

It doesn’t take much diving to turn your vehicle into a beater anyway. Between salt water, heavy cylinders, weight belts, and Abalone juice you may have the best option so far. The advantage of a pickup or van is you are less likely to pull a back mussel handling gear. The downside of pickups is getting your gear stolen when you stop for lunch or a pit stop.

I don't see the point in diving with a key. One more thing I would have to worry about. I usually hide it somewhere near the dive site under a rock or somewhere under my car.

Hundreds of dives like this and never had my car broken into (yet...)

On a charter it just stays inside my dry bag on the boat.

Mine usually goes behind the front bumper in a spot thats hard to grab at. Or under some driftwood in the brush or a rock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom