Who will service the regulator yourself? Any Pro can advise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I service my own all the time. Of course this varies with the individual, some people are more mechanically inclined than others. Why do I do it?

Same thing I asked when servicing my own car vs going out and having someone else doing it. Can you imagine your brakes failing at 60 mph? I simply don't trust the mechanics out there. Sure the car works, but did they do things under the hood to cut corners? Did they lube even the smallest part? Those questions always linger when I bring in my car.

Same thing with my regs. I had my regs serviced before and the guy forgot a few o-rings. I even had a reg that wouldn't stop free-flowing after it was just serviced (different shop), you start to wonder if they really serviced it.

If you have the right mindset of being detailed then go ahead, if not, have the guy at the shop do it. I made my own checklist of every o-ring and type. I put a change list of everything I touch every time I open the insides of my regulators. I even had more updated information from the reg manufacturer than the shop did. Call me OCD but that's the mindset you need. Like some people say, it is life supporting equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom