How does everyone travel with their camera gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wondering how everyone carries all their camera gear when traveling? I now carry my Oly C-5050Z, PT-015, ULCS tray and arms, Inon D-180 strobe, Inon WAL2, and to top it off, I carry my other setup so my girl can use it - a canon A40 with DC 200s housing. Any suggestions? No longer fits in a big backpack.

A hard case like Pelican or another brand for the plane.
A soft beverage cooler for the dive boats for insulation from the heat.

I carry all my photo gear with me on the plane in a back pack. Thanks for the tip on the soft cooler Gilligan. Never thought about using one.

Joe

I use a large photo backpack as carry on for a plane ride.

um for me it depends on what im taking but for the most part it goes in a hardside for check through which goes insides a well protected nondescrip roller duffel. but on location i will switch to a tamrac velocity series bag for walking about (series 7 for my elan 7e with flash and 5050 or a series 9 for when i get my DSLR and also for carrying a film body and misc items)

as for the dive boat, dont have a set up yet as i havent gotten it in the water yet but probably a hard side for travel and a drink cooler for the boat.

tooth

All camera gear/housing/strobe and laptop in my backpack and computer carrying case and lots of tylenol for my sore back and shoulder. I just bought the Storm Case (simiar to Pelican) for my new D70 setup as housing and ports etc will no longer fit in my backpack. However I will still hand carry the camera,lens and laptop on the plane.
A bit annoying since we only get 20kg check in baggage allowance and my divegears/divebag are already 14kg. The Stormcase with gears in it will probably be another 15kg. Just hope I get a nice agent at the airport who are willing to overlook my xs baggage.

I take everything as carry on in a rucsac. I have an old climbing rucsac which is a giid size for carry one, so I bought a CCS (UK brand) protective camera case that fits inside. This means that I can fit the camera at the bottom and them put my laptop and a few other bits for the plane in as well. Once its packed I carry it very carefully and watch it very closely when its not on my back. It has worked well for me so far.

Nothing so glamorous for me. I'm a cave diver and my gear tends to weigh a bit more than when I'm doing open water travel. I'll max out two duffles at the current weight limitations, so I don't have the extra allowance for a checked pelican for my camera gear.

I just wrap each piece in bubblewrap secured with rubberbands and place in my backpack for carryon. The bubblewrap is just so the pieces don't bump each other for obvious reasons. In this backpack also goes everything else I need.....DVD player, book, passport, money, travelers checks, land camera....etc. Gets heavy, but the airline doesn't bother weighing it. I have a folding luggage cart for my duffles that I carryon also and I admit running from terminal to terminal, the backpack sometimes finds it's way to the rack!! One other note.....the reason I use rubberbands on the bubblewrap rather than tape is TSA is ALWAYS curious about my strobe.....and the bubblewrap with rubberbands is quick and easy for them to look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom