Best place to dive AND snorkel simultaneously??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaferdaniel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be in both Ambergris/Caulker and Placencia in March 2012 with my girlfriend. I dive, she only snorkels. Rather than take her on trips meant for divers where the snorkelers get shafted, I'm looking for dive sites that are excellent for snorkelers where divers can accompany them. We have three days to see the ocean.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after a lot of reading, this is what we've decided to do so far:

Tres Cocos/Mexico Rocks
Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley
Glover's Atoll

I need one more location, could be a full day dive, out of Placencia, that would be enjoyable to both snorkelers and divers.

Lighthouse? I hear it's too deep for snorkelers
Turneffe? Again, not great for snorkelers
Silk Cayes?

Thanks...

Most of the diving we did was outside of the reef. I went with a group of 6 and only my father and I dove. We did snorkeling with everyone else. TBH I think the Snokeling is much better in Belize than the diving. Mexican rocks is way to shallow to dive in, you can pretty much stand up there and there are some places you would draw to much water to safely pass with a tank on your back. Hol Chan and Shark/Ray Alley should be fine for both. Though to be honest Hol Chan, Mexican Rocks, Tres Cocos, and Shark and Ray Alley; just snorkel with her. She will enjoy it and you aren't missing out by not having a tank.

Do what we did. My old man and I would go diving the morning, while my fiance and mom would relax, sleep in, read, and get a massage.

Just got back from AC you definitely can do both at Hol Chan in fact we did our surface interval on a buoy among the snorkelers, Hol Chan wall and Pillar Canyon are the two we dove right off the HC shallows. One thing to consider is the non divers will have to sit on the boat while you dive which can be uncomfortable if rough. There is also good snorkeling right off 1/2 moon Cay which is where all the boats go for lunch that run to Lighthouse reef and the Blue Hole just prepare them for a long 12 hr day. The dive opp may drop them off on 1/2 moon first so at least they don't have to be on the boat all day. The booby birds and terns are entertaining, the beaches are great and island fun to explore with a small ranger run gift shop. both locations have a park fee 40 pp at 1/2 moon and 10 at HC

You can also choose a resort like Tranquility Bay on the north end of Ambergris Caye where you can snorkel from shore and the diving is just a stone's throw away. This way you can snorkel with your gf while at the resort, dive and only be gone for your actual bottom time. Your surface interval's are generally done at the resort. The Blue Hole trip which is further from here but can be done is the best option for a combo. Hol Chan is also good but shark ray alley is to shallow to dive.

cheers,
Carlos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom