My stay last week at The Blue Angel Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandDream,

Your reaction to BA was very similar to mine. I have a strong preference for staying somewhere with an on-site diving operation, as well as (at least some) meals. BA does all three of those very well (hotel, dive op and restaurant). I don't think they're the cheapest package on the island, but I do think they're very reasonable.

Then, when you add to all that the wonderful setting....right on the water with a great balcony, they're very hard to beat.

I stayed there twice this year and hope to go back soon.

Having said that, I've been impressed with what I've read about Aldora (including postings here by the Aldora owner)....larger tanks, diving on the east side of the island when the port's closed, and all-around competency. But, when I consider BA's pricing and ocean front setting, I don't think I can beat it.

Ron

...and when they don't Oceanic honors a 5 year warranty.
Well, their standard coverage is 2 years on computers, but they are flexible. see http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/us/support-warranty/http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/us/support-warranty/

The warranty is voided for rental or commercial use, but they're still decent about it.

Has anyone got a recent photo of Jorge? If it's the same one I'm thinking of (and, granted, Jorge is a very common name down there)... then, he's likely been with BA for not just years, but decades! I remember him as a cherubic, perpetually mischievous, but highly knowledgeable DM.
Highly knowledgeable, absolutely, but cherubic? Not this Jorge. He's very lean.

Nice report. Thanks. The BA has been a good one for many years I know off, and they have really improved it a lot. I hated that they had to cover the animals in the old floors but I guess they needed to. The staff there was super the last time I stayed too.

Glad y'all finally got sausages. It's always amazed me that divers go to sea at all without them but my Inst didn't teach that need either. Uh, I guess you both have DAN insurance, and not the cheapest plan? Just checking.

That reg failure was dramatic. I'd be extremely upset with the tech. Yeah yeah everyone makes mistakes and things fail, but we depend on regs. :silly:

Yep, we both have Dan and not the cheapest one. I went to the dive shop with reg in hand and the owner felt awful about what happened. He's trying to find replacement parts and if he can't, he'll upgrade the reg to the most current model. He was suppose to call me a couple days ago, but hasn't yet. I'll probably pay him a visit or phone him tomorrow. Hope he doesn't have caller ID!

When I was in Coz 2 weeks ago I frequently drove by the BA. I have heard wonderful things about the place. Was traffic noise ever a problem?

I never had any problem with the traffic noise while I was in the room. If you keep the bathroom door closed (open vented windows in there) it really minimizes the sound from the street. Plus, I was usually so tired from a great day of diving I fell asleep with no problemo!

Happy to be one of your 'new' friends!!!! We had a blast too!
And you were definitely one of the people who really helped us understand the diffences between our computers and the more liberal ones. Also, watching you and Alyssa underwater was impressive! You can tell you have many dives under your BDC! We're so glad we met both of you!

Dangit... I skimmed that too fast. I wonder what computers they ended up getting? I've been told that Suunto is one of the most conservative on the market.
I believe we ordered Aieres (sp?). I'll have to check with hubby but it was between that and Oceanic which we understand are comparable.

I am really happy with my Oceanic computers, and the company as well. When one of us ruins one, which has happened a coupe of time - our fault, but even out of warranty the company has a cheap replacement program.

I also love what the new owners have done with the BA. I liked it fine at the Caribe Blu but the improvement and changes have been impressive, even tho they lost the floor animals.

Great place for couples anyway. Too pricey for me as a solo traveler, or for two guys wanting private rooms.
Our room had a starfish mosiac made out of river rock in the middle of our floor. Does that qualify as an animal?

Awesome trip report. We were diving with Jorge just 2 weeks ago and bug Jeanie to death requesting him with each trip. We love the way he leaves us alone when we want to be left alone or engages in hilarious conversations. His laid-back style suites us just perfectly.

We too have Cobras that I was tempted to replace before this trip but it's tough for me to justify since they do work. After this last trip, I firmly decided that they absolutely do not work! You may as well be diving single-level tables! We made a terrible mistake and still had ours set for cold muck diving at 6200 feet here in Colorado on our first dive in Coz! Needless to say, after 4 minutes on Columbia Deep they were screaming at us. I know... it was my fault but what computers do not automatically adjust for altitude? Pathetic! I'm curious to hear what your husband choose as replacements? I've got my eye set on a pair of Atomic Cobalts.

I believe we ordered Aieres (sp?). I'll have to check with hubby but it was between that and Oceanic which we understand are comparable.
I've seen Aires and Oceanic computer manuals that were identical. Just two brands of the same product in many models. Do study your computers and manuals well.
Our room had a starfish mosiac made out of river rock in the middle of our floor. Does that qualify as an animal?
Oh cool! I thought they'd covered them all up. Glad some survived.

Back
Top Bottom