The History of the ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy cow, Walter, Rick, Natasha, nice to see your names again. Lots of memories from when I joined in 2003 and boy has the time flown by. I just had to say hello. Here's a small token of my appreciation for SB's founders and current staff alike, to be sung to the tune of the Major-General's Song from Pirates of Penzance.
I am the very model of contributors on scubaboard,
I’ve knowledge on all topics, whether commonplace or unexplored,
I like to add to bp/wing and poodle jacket arguments,
Of snorkels, splits, and agencies I can become intolerant.
I post in forums everywhere, I hijack threads relentlessly,
My avatar keeps changing but for now it’s an anemone,
I point out typos everywhere and criticize your bad grammar,
I get the in-jokes all the time, I even know the Warhammer.

I help to keep the mof/non-mof threads eating up the server space,
I’ve been reported sometimes and my posts were pulled to my disgrace.
In short, in scuba knowledge whether commonplace or unexplored,
I am the very model of contributors on scubaboard.

Best regards,
Bryan

PS. Alternatively this link is the same song, as performed in Star Wars. Highly recommended.

Is Don still banned? His member name nets 0 results in a member list search, yet his profile is still visible.
View Profile: Iguana Don - ScubaBoard

Guess I was already gone when this happened, as I don't recall Don getting banned. But my memory of almost decade ago is pretty fuzzy. Be that as it may, I don't see what he could have possibly done that worse than branding me for life and he didn't get banned for that! :D Nah, I thought the world of Don and still do.

Is Don still banned? His member name nets 0 results in a member list search, yet his profile is still visible.
View Profile: Iguana Don - ScubaBoard

Guess I was already gone when this happened, as I don't recall Don getting banned. But my memory of almost decade ago is pretty fuzzy. Be that as it may, I don't see what he could have possibly done that worse than branding me for life and he didn't get banned for that! :D Nah, I thought the world of Don and still do.
The NA under his name suggested banned. Last post September 2002.

Is Don still banned?
He is, but I would reverse that in a heart beat if he were to show up. Bannings back then were done by changing the password and then the email to "sucks@scubasource.com". People never knew that someone was banned, giving the illusion that they just went away. Whenever I see that has happened, I take a moment to move the user to the banned user group. It's simply the only honest thing to do. Re-reading Walter's post, its obvious he doesn't have a clue about what really happened and he's speaking from his ignorance. That's OK, I was the sole liaison between the mod squad and King Neptune at the time he did this and there was no mod debate about it. Its why you don't remember one Greg! In any event, it hurts to have people misrepresent me and try to cast me in a bad light. I have no problems admitting my imperfections, faults and mistakes. This wasn't one of them, no matter how stridently Walter claims otherwise. I think he's confusing Don with someone else. Who knows and I certainly don't care. I know the truth here.

He is, but I would reverse that in a heart beat if he were to show up. Bannings back then were done by changing the password and then the email to "sucks@scubasource.com". People never knew that someone was banned, giving the illusion that they just went away. Whenever I see that has happened, I take a moment to move the user to the banned user group. It's simply the only honest thing to do. Re-reading Walter's post, its obvious he doesn't have a clue about what really happened and he's speaking from his ignorance. That's OK, I was the sole liaison between the mod squad and King Neptune at the time he did this and there was no mod debate about it. Its why you don't remember one Greg! In any event, it hurts to have people misrepresent me and try to cast me in a bad light. I have no problems admitting my imperfections, faults and mistakes. This wasn't one of them, no matter how stridently Walter claims otherwise. I think he's confusing Don with someone else. Who knows and I certainly don't care. I know the truth here.

Ah, I see. Not sure how you'd verify him after all this time, but maybe you could. Perhaps he is still here, just under another name. Wherever he is, I just hope he is doing well.

At any rate, I hate to see you two at each other over something that happened so long ago, as it doesn't really matter at this point and I respect both of you a lot.

Yeah, I would like to see him around... and the rest of the sick seven. :D As for Walter, I'm glad to see him here as well and don't mind setting the story straight when I have to. That's the real beauty of ScubaBoard. There are lots of different understandings. The reader can read the various accounts and decide which one makes the most sense. This is just as true for how we train and how we dive. While some of the exchanges on here can be terse and seem even hostile, that simply underlies the passion we feel for our version of the truth. I have and will continue to view Walter as a friend. I have defended him when I thought he was right and I don't mind being blunt when I think he is wrong. In actuality, he can make the very same claim. In many ways we are brothers from different mothers... but Mom always liked me best! :D

...In many ways we (Walter and I) are brothers from different mothers... but Mom always liked me best! :D
Well, there *is* considerably more of you to love :)
**sorry, it just popped out... couldn't help it**

Rick

Mike Boswell:
I saw a similar discussion between you two a year or so ago, and I'm guessing that this has been festering for some time. ???

I can't speak for Pete, but I have no issues.

NetDoc:
Re-reading Walter's post, its obvious he doesn't have a clue about what really happened and he's speaking from his ignorance.

Continuing to repeat it doesn't make it so. I remember the incident very clearly.

NetDoc:
That's OK, I was the sole liaison between the mod squad and King Neptune at the time he did this and there was no mod debate about it.

Not true.

NetDoc:
In any event, it hurts to have people misrepresent me and try to cast me in a bad light.

No one is misrepresenting you nor is anyone trying to cast you in a bad light. You've merely forgotten what happened. There's no sin in that.

NetDoc:
I have no problems admitting my imperfections, faults and mistakes. This wasn't one of them, no matter how stridently Walter claims otherwise.

As imperfections, faults and mistakes go, not remembering things correctly isn't all that bad, so don't lose any sleep over it. Until I read this statement, I hadn't thought of the lapse as one of your imperfections. Now that you've pointed it out, I still think it's extremely minor.

Continuing to repeat it doesn't make it so. I remember the incident very clearly.
You are remembering an incident you weren't privy to. Walter told me the "third party" in this and so I looked it up. The discussion he referenced was over a year after Don was banned and about 5 months after I became the owner. It's apparent Walter remembered it clearly wrong. Continuing to repeat it doesn't make it true.

Not true.
What part is not true? That I was the only one to liaison with Tom? I was. They didn't trust anyone else at the time, largely because of what happened with Don. Don was banned in January 2003 by his last post. I'm not sure you were even a mod then.

You've merely forgotten what happened. There's no sin in that.
No my friend... it's you who've seem to have gotten confused. What happened to Don was never made public, not even in the Mod Squad. There was no way for you to have known. You've made some wrong assumptions about what happened based on a discussion 15 months after the fact. How would you feel if the shoe were on your foot and I was accusing you of something you didn't do? How would anyone feel?

Ok, since we are airing it out anyway, someone might as well spill the beans. For the record, why was Don banned, if you don't mind me asking?

Back
Top Bottom