How do experienced divers define "What is Advanced Diving?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose I may have thought of myself as an advanced diver at some point in the past when I still believed that diving involved some sort of linear progression ie. non diver, beginner, advanced, technical... or perhaps it was when I consistently found myself suited up before everyone else and sitting around waiting. Now of course, I am usually the one forgetting something at home and/or try to suit up last so I don't cook as much :)

These days I see diving as a cyclical experience and view my desired position more as one of competency.

A non diver who just takes a course but dives rarely does not stay in the exposure cycle long enough to gain competency, though they are certified. A diver who stays may; if they apply themselves. A recreational diver who takes a technical course also does not cycle long enough to gain competency; they have only expanded their learning circle to envelope the experience once or twice.

I'm a little old school I suppose and see it as serving an apprenticeship of sorts. My goal is to become a [-]tradesman[/-] diver in the traditional sense of being able to do a lot with a few tools, instead a few specialties with a lot of tools.

Gad, I still dive air most of the time - because I can.

but not deep.

because that's dangerous.

The simplified PADI answer is below 18m, but not deeper then 30m unless you've done the "deep" specialty.

Would have been nice if you had read any of the OP's so you might sound like you have a clue what's going on in this thread.

:idk:

halemanō;6138624:
I think the problem here is that I thought participants would read. [-]the OP. :shakehead:

I am still learning how to word thread titles. :D

The current title of this thread is a Moderator's attempt to help me with my lacking original title. :idk:

DivemasterDennis seems to me to be just answering the title of the thread and not the actual questions in the OP.
[/-]:coffee:

Fixed that for ya! :thumb:

halemanō;6139925:
Would have been nice if you had read any of the OP's so you might sound like you have a clue what's going on in this thread.

:idk:

He fits your experience pre-requisites and stated his opinion. Is that not allowed in [-]Scuba[/-]HalemanoBoard?

Yes he gave his opinion... but it had nothing to do with the question.

Question: looking into your past, when did you think you had earned the title "advanced diver?" If you have ~1,000 or more dives, when do you now think you were "advanced?"

Answer: The simplified PADI answer is below 18m, but not deeper then 30m unless you've done the "deep" specialty.

I interpret it to mean that the man believes he reached 'Advanced' when his training/diving reflected the PADI terminology for AOW diving. i.e. beyond OW/18m and up to the limit of AOW/30m.

I had done about 1,700.00 dives including few hundred on deco dives.
But I never dive dry or inside a cave. I never had any serious equipment failure under water. I never had to rescue anyone under water before. I never had......and the list is pretty long!!!
So what kind of diver am I or does it matter?

Advanced, experienced, technical etc etc have no really definition/meaning.
Do not blind by your own EGO.
Scuba diving is a sport to enjoy and let stay this way.

Centrals... don't bait Halemano.... you know you're not allowed to answer that question here.... over to the Technical Diving forum with you.... chop chop!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom