calf cramps at surface only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TEERLKAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
apologies if there is a better forum to post this in...

my rescue diver class exposed a problem i am having - foot cramps at surface only. underwater my gear/calves are fine - my kit includes a back inflate BC (zeagle with 34lbs of lift. with an al tank and a 3 mil wetsuit iam putting on twelve pounds of lead in saltwater - 8 in front ditchable pockets and 4 in rear non ditchable. until i started using rear pockets, at surface the bc DID want to pitch me forward but with the rear weights i dont feel that anymore. my fins are mares quattros with steel spring straps - the foot pockets are roomy enough and the spring straps are very comfortable. i've been diving this same equipment for years and underwater i very rarely suffer a cramp. but on the surface either by myself or towing exercises i cramp up fairly quickly and fairly painfully. i usually do a good job of hydrating/potassium/electrolytes

i am going to try - in order
more stretching - focusing on calves
different fins when i know i have lots of surface time
jacket bc

but i am open to suggestions

tia

peace

Maybe the change in body mechanics when you swim on the surface is causing you to use your fins in a different way. Try being mindful of your foot position and the exact muscles that you're using when you swim underwater vs. on the surface.

Best regards,
DDM

DDM,
I’m pretty sure what you mention plays a role here – I most probably am using different body mechanics/muscles while on the surface. Before I added trim weights to my back inflate BC, I thought the cramps could be attributed to me constantly fighting the tendency to pitch forward on the surface. I don’t feel that tendency anymore (since I added rear trim weights but perhaps it’s still there to a lesser degree.

Hatul,
I can certainly do a better job stretching (in pretty much every physical activity)

I’m also looking for perhaps a “surface specific fin” that would allow me to do more surface work while being easier on my calves while still providing adequate underwater properties.

Thanks for the responses

Are you kicking harder while on the surface? Are you surface swimming face down, on your side, or on your back? Does that make a difference.

It makes a big difference to me on what position I'm in. I will cramp quickly if swimming face in, but rarely if back swimming. A side swim (mask on, snorkel in, one eye below/above the water) works very well. In my case I don't think my fins are fully engaged in the water when swimming face in.

When finning u/w I'm usually in 'slow cruise' mode. This is very relaxed with gentle kicks. When finning on the surface I'm trying to go somewhere. Much harder, longer fin strokes.

If it's a question of fins, try Force Fins Pro. They have a wide open foot pocket that moves the stress away from toes and up to the ankle.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom