One dead in Oahu accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon; give it a rest.

Pretty much nobody "scuba" dives Kahana Bay, Oahu; especially this time of year.

Did you go to my above google maps link?

15 feet deep is the deepest part of the channel! All the brown is ankle to knee deep water!

By law a free diver in Hawaii must have a dive float. Most are not legal (12" x 12" minimum flag size) but free divers rarely get fined for smaller than legal flags. For a "hunter" the main purpose of the float is to keep the dead animals away from the diver so the sharks don't "mug" the divers.

Dad and son are(were) most likely not scuba certified. They most likely grew up and lived all their lives within a half mile of this location.

halemanō;6144629:
DandyDon; give it a rest.
Thanks for explaining. Sorry my wanting to understand bothered you.

Skin diving refers to breath holding, not scuba. Don why are you reporting on drownings involving snorkelers or swimmers? If we are going to start discussing non scuba deaths, this forum will grow, and I will not be reading it!

However, the A & I sub-forum guidelines say that it's for "the discussion of diving Accidents and Incidents." It doesn't specify SCUBA diving. Granted, this sub-forum is a part of "SCUBA Diving Central," but then so is the free-diving and snorkeling sub-forum, so that umbrella alone doesn't seem to me to limit it to SCUBA topics -- especially when the A & I guidelines don't specify SCUBA-only.

Another possible consideration is that sometimes the initial media reports are somewhat inaccurate (along with their equipment assessments), and something reported as "diving" might be free-diving, SCUBA diving, or even snorkeling (so even if A & I were restricted to SCUBA, there might be some leeway).

I'm glad someone takes the time to subscribe to Google news (or however it is that Don gets his info), and then makes the effort to post the info and links here on SB.
From Skindiving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Skindiving may refer to:
I understood that Freediving and Snorkeling accidents were covered here too, but you can ask those charge.

Skin diving refers to breath holding, not scuba. Don why are you reporting on drownings involving snorkelers or swimmers? If we are going to start discussing non scuba deaths, this forum will grow, and I will not be reading it!

The definitions of various styles of diving have changed a lot over the years, and depending on who you talk to.

Skin diving and free diving were both used to diferentiate from the tethered to the surface hard hat diving suit, they were interchangeable and included snorkling, breath hold diving, SCUBA (turned into a noun later), and rebreathers. Swimming was then and is now a seperate sport because it had already defined itself.

Snorkling is now more of a surface evolution.
Breath hold diving has turned into freediving.
Scuba diving has replaced free diving on SCUBA
Skin diving I don't hear much but, I'm in No. Ca. and the water is cold.

As for what you read, thats your choice.

Bob
----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Halemano nailed it. Don, looks like you pulled the news feed from a local channel. Here in hawaii, they do no readily make the distinction between scuba and breath-hold/free diving. There is a big difference and everyone knows it, but for whatever reason they do not like to specify. Maybe because sometimes they don't even know. They say diving accident and us here on the island often have to make a determination which type of diving was going on. Again, from what I read on this post and heard on the news, the fact he had a float tells me he was free diving and hunting.

Has anyone considered shallow water blackout?

Has anyone considered shallow water blackout?
That is indeed a risk with free diving, but doesn't fit with the story as reported in post #1 - or any other info given here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom