Pls, help me identify this reg kit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the USA...So a bit above this here, north of the border. Scuba gear is quite expensive here, compared to the US. 20%-30% more, easily...

The primary second stage is of course Sherwood, but I'm not so sure about the 1st stage (picture quality is poor, but I'm not sure it is a Conshelf). Octo is Aqualung. I like the old Conshelfs for their simplicity and reasonable performance, but do not like the primary second Sherwood. One factor to consider is that this is a mix of brands. To have this serviced you would need to have someone qualified to work on all brands involved. Depending on where you live this could be a problem. This set-up is not what I'd look for in a used set of regs.

Under magification I believe that Fishpie is right about the first stage - US Divers SEA/Cousteau 1st stage. However, what I said still stands.

diveprof, those are excellent points. My LDS is primary an Aqualung and Sherwood shop, so, from a service point of view, I would be covered. Regarding the mix'n'match approach of the kit, i understand that these would give less than optimal performances, but since I'm now diving with my family, including a 10 and 12 yrs old Junior Open Water, the next couple of years will be spent above 40 feet, in mostly easy to, maybe, moderate conditions. If the seller can agree to a decent price, then I think I'm good to go.Thank you

Something not discussed yet: that connection to the primary Sherwood looks kind of Frankenreg. Don't know what's going on there. Doesn't look like a swivel or angle fitting. Can't quite figure it out from the photo. Might end up having that hose replaced if there's an odd fitting on the reg side.

My thought is that this looks like something that someone who had 1st and 2nd stages that they were not using put together to make a reg set to sell. No way would I purposely consider putting this set together for personal use. Yes, for the poster's identified use it would probably work, but I take the long view on regs. I have a Sherwood set from the 80's that I'm still diving. Saving a couple of dollars on a set-up such as this would not be a consideration. You would likely end up replacing it in a couple of years. Why spend twice. There are other good used options on e-bay if price is the driving point.

The first stage is a SEA/Cousteau. It's my very 1st reg, bought in 1989 and was called La Spirotechnique Supra. I still have it, even thought I don't dive it anymore. Surprisingly, after sitting in a closet for 15+ years, it still works fine.

However, I tend to think all the AL seconds are just so-so until they bought Apeks.

Today, I don't think it's worth a lot of money. My guess is $50 for the whole lot, preferably less.

Last edited:
So, to bring some closure to those of you who tried to figure things out, here some better pictures:

DSC_6753.jpgDSC_6754.jpgDSC_6755.jpgDSC_6756.jpg

The first stage definitely is AL. Actually has "Made in France" stamped in it. The yoke knob is a Trident, which might have complicated identification. It looks quite clean. If it wasn't for the aftermarket knob, it would look brand new. The tech at my LDS who did the inspection/tune-up actually made a note on the bill of service stating "Very good working order". Actually, it was "En tres, tres bonne etat." but i thought I would translate...

:)

Here is the second stage, Sherwood Oasis. Again, quite clean, but has some scratch in the plastic showing some use. Anybody can tell me when they stopped using that logo?

DSC_6751.jpgDSC_6752.jpg

Back
Top Bottom