Which Tools (for Scuba Pro)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, after reading through Vance's book a few times, I'm interested in taking it a step further, and applying its information. Chapter 9 covers a good outline, but because of all the different models, I'd like a more specific list. I'd like to set myself up with a set of tools for my specific equipment, but there is a bunch of stuff out there, so I'm uncertain as to what may or may not be needed, and what may be useful but not necessarily required.

My gear consists of the following models:

1st Stages: MK-2+, MK-5, MK-10 & MK-10+, MK-17
2nd Stages: 109/156, G200B, G250V, & S555
Alternate Air Sources: Air-2 (2nd generation, through most recent models)
also standard power inflators (ScubaPro and Generics)

So, what is likely needed to care for these?

Thanks for your support.

It's a big list.

A multi-tool will be useful on almost all of them.
You'll need a piston bullet for the balanced piston regs.
An in line adjustment tool will make second stage adjustment much easier.
The air 2 spider will help with the Air 2.
The MK 17 requires a tool to remove the HP module and replace the seat without damaging it. There is also a socket to remove the ambient chamber end and properly torque it, but truth be told, it probably is not essential given that Mk 17s were being serviced before the tool was available.
A yoke socket is useful to remove a yoke retainer and/or a 6mm long reach allen wrench is needed to remove and replace a DIN retainer.
The brass Parker Seal o-ring set is very useful to replace the piston stem o-ring in the Mk 5 and Mk 10, and I prefer it to the Mk 10 tool.
Otherwise, common o-ring picks, screw drivers, allen wrenches and open end wrenches are about all you'll need.

Thanks!

So, those, coupled with an inch-pounds and a foot-pounds torque wrenches, and I'm on my way?

Plenty of pull throughs for the insides of hoses

Cleaned sixty three yesterday.

Lucky for you and your smart idea Zung :shakehead: that twelve were HP.

The list DA posted is, as you would expect, pretty comprehensive. I would add the double hook o-ring pick, I really find that one useful. I'd like to try the MK10 o-ring tool sometime, I use a double hook o-ring pick to remove the old HP o-ring and a combination of a drinking straw and chopstick to install the new one. If I was in a hurry I'd want a better arrangement.

The inline tool is something I would consider a luxury. It is a bit of a pain adjusting, installing the hose, pressurizing, depressurizing, removing the hose, adjusting, repeat....but it works fine and as I said I'm not in a hurry. I'm a cheapskate and the scubatools one is $70, so......

... The inline tool is something I would consider a luxury. It is a bit of a pain adjusting, installing the hose, pressurizing, depressurizing, removing the hose, adjusting, repeat....but it works fine and as I said I'm not in a hurry. I'm a cheapskate and the scubatools one is $70, so......

I used to think that way until Luis H legitimize the tuning under pressure.
Now I can find the exact point when it seals, in a continuous sweep instead of discrete increments.

Back
Top Bottom