How do experienced divers define "What is Advanced Diving?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there's a simple answer:

you are advanced diver when you get the Advanced certification (or equivalent).
in the same way an "advanced dive" is a dive in witch is requested Advanced cert.

other way, advanced in the meaning of "expert" doesn't mean anything,
advanced in the meaning of "difficult" too.

advanced in the comparison of what?

we can talk about what does expert mean, but is relative to the type of diving and other things.

my 0.2$
;-)
Are you sure you posted this in the right thread? :confused:

I'm pretty sure you did not read this thread.

Often the topic of a thread is fully explained in the original post (OP); sometimes threads evolve, but not usually without following the conversation....

halemanō;6135998:
OK, there are three pieces to this posting; this thread here in Advanced Scuba Discussions (for divers who do feel they are advanced divers), a thread in Basic Scuba Discussions (for divers who don't feel they are advanced divers) and a thread in Technical Diving Specialties (for divers who make technical dives).

OK you advanced scuba divers; looking into your past, when did you think you had earned the title "advanced diver?" If you have ~1,000 or more dives, when do you now think you were "advanced?"

So, please answer the question in the proper forum; the question is slightly different in each different forum; this question is for those who are advanced divers (<50 dives
:shakehead:).

haleman&#333;;6135998:
OK, there are three pieces to this posting; this thread here in Advanced Scuba Discussions (for divers who do feel they are advanced divers), a thread in Basic Scuba Discussions (for divers who don't feel they are advanced divers) and a thread in Technical Diving Specialties (for divers who make technical dives).

OK you advanced scuba divers; looking into your past, when did you think you had earned the title "advanced diver?" If you have ~1,000 or more dives, when do you now think you were "advanced?"

So, please answer the question in the proper forum; the question is slightly different in each different forum; this question is for those who are advanced divers (<50 dives

I would best describe it as a maturity level you reach when you are confident with your gear, planning and emergency procedures.

Being able to be honest with yourself and your dive partner about your skills, knowledge and experience you actually have.

Safe Diving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haleman&#333;;6135998:
... and a thread in Technical Diving Specialties (for divers who make technical dives).

I would best describe it as a maturity level you reach when you are confident with your gear, planning and emergency procedures.

Being able to be honest with yourself and your dive partner about your skills, knowledge and experience you actually have.

Safe Diving
Score another one for Jax! :shakehead:

Originally Posted by haleman&#333;

I think the problem here is that I thought participants would read the OP. :shakehead:

I am still learning how to word thread titles. :d

The current title of this thread is a Moderator's attempt to help me with my lacking original title. :idk:

DivemasterDennis seems to me to be just answering the title of the thread and not the actual questions in the OP.:coffee:
Fixed that for ya! :thumb:

How about this:

Advanced = Diver capability greater (+) than demands of dives conducted.
Basic = Diver capability equal (=) to demands of dives conducted.
Novice (or trainee) = Diver capability lesser (-) than demands of dives conducted.

It's all relative to the dives being done - which seems to fit reality.

Thus, you can be an advanced open water diver, a basic trimix diver or a novice CCR diver... all at the same time.

Likewise, you can be an advanced warm water diver and a novice cold water diver... all at the same time.

The question itself is kind of multi ended. First there is Advanced as the sanctioning bodies define it. Then there are the levels of technical diving within sport diving. Finally there is the consideration of those truely advanced in diving as a trade outside of sport diving. So I'd consider an advanced within each of these roughly defined areas. Simple put for each are you get to a point that you have enough experience and training to recognize higher levels of risk within the activities and mitigate those increased risks. The Advanced diver also recognizes when they have reached their own limits and has the good sense to not proceed without first attaining the skills needed to properly mitgate increased risks. For myself I think it was somewhere as I prepared to become a DM.

I thought that myself, then learned differently. :wink:

Some of us learn our lessons faster and with less effort than others. I'm sorry if you seem to be a slow learner. Some never do learn and repeat the same mistakes over again & again. :shakehead:

What are you chuntering about?!?

I thought I was pretty hot-shot as a DM and then as a newbie instructor. As time went by, I learnt more. Made me realise how little I actually knew then.

What DOES happen at DM/Inst level is make it easy to start comparing your ability against 'joe average' student. That can lead to a certain ego trip and sense of superiority.

After a while as a pro.... with proper attitude.... you get the opportunity to work with more experienced diver and instructors. With luck, you even get more experienced divers as customers. If you aren't blinkered by ego and self-importance, then you can continue learning from these people. In doing so, you realise that a petty DM or instructor rating has NOTHING to do with advanced diving or expertise.

In what way does ego lead someone to believe that sitting on your knees demonstrating a mask clearance is 'advanced' diving?

Last edited:
How about this:

Advanced = Diver capability greater (+) than demands of dives conducted.
Basic = Diver capability equal (=) to demands of dives conducted.
Novice (or trainee) = Diver capability lesser (-) than demands of dives conducted.

It's all relative to the dives being done - which seems to fit reality.

Thus, you can be an advanced open water diver, a basic trimix diver or a novice CCR diver... all at the same time.

Likewise, you can be an advanced warm water diver and a novice cold water diver... all at the same time.

Hello All,

DevonDiver has it just right. It is all relative to the experience you have and the dive you are performing. On some dives I am advanced, and on some dives I am a novice.

For me, my confidence and experience level reached an advanced stage, for the types of diving that I do, starting at 50 dives. I enhanced my knowledge by reading voraciously about diving and diving techniques. I watched, learned, and prodded experienced divers about their diving techniques. I am still learning.

Some of you are thinking: yeah, right! Your assumption is wrong. It does not require lots of experience or training to jump into warm, calm, somewhat clear water and blow bubbles for an hour. It really isn't that difficult! With some basic skills, it is not dangerous at all!

Do I have the ability to teach others how to dive--heck no! I have been instructed by a certified instructor who should not have been teaching others. I knew another instructor who wasn't qualified either.

Do I have the ability to dive in overhead environments--heck no!

Do I have...NO TO ALL!

I am a novice in so many ways.

markm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom