Slipping Command Dial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jesper64

Registered
Reaction score
I have a problem with my DX-D80 where the subcommand dial intermittently works. When turning the subcommand dial on the housing it does not turn the subcommand dial on the camera. It is a combination of either the rubber disc slipping on the camera dial or the cogs in the housing slipping.

Anyone had any experience with this or can suggest a remedy?

I've circled the parts that I am talking about below.

DX-D80 subcommand dial.jpg

Cheers

Mine does too, on my MDX-D300. I think it's because the metering dial is pretty stiff and notchy compared to others. I've been told to put some tape on it, but I don't know what kind, and I've thought about using belt dressing, but I'm hesitant to try it.

I would suggest that you post this question is the Sea&Sea manufacturer's forum site: Sea&Sea. They should give you a solution.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for the replies. I've posted my problem over in the other Sea&Sea forum. I do remember reading the manufacturers forum but when I was posting my initial post, it totally slipped my mind.

Larry, I've tried putting some rubber (bicycle inner tube) inbetween the spinning gear and the subcommand dial on the camera and it will turn for a bit with alot of resistance. But after a while the gears just start slipping.

After a bit of tinkering I think, it's starting to lock up because there is some play in the vertical shaft. It starts to tilt when backwards pressure is applied to the gears and the angle is enough to cause the gears to lock up.

my MODE dial slips in the housing on my DX-2G. I rarely want to change modes underwater anyway, so I haven't approached working with it much. It's a pretty stiff pot as well, so the issue is most likely the same as y'all are having.

thought about trying a small piece of duct tape or some sort of fibered tape, (sports/medical tape), thinking it would have a better grip than most.

I was a little concerned that the thickness of the tape would shift the camera enough to cause issues with the other dials.

I have the same problem. I superglued the rubber to the shaft of the control and it seems to be holding...

my MODE dial slips in the housing on my DX-2G. I rarely want to change modes underwater anyway, so I haven't approached working with it much. It's a pretty stiff pot as well, so the issue is most likely the same as y'all are having.

thought about trying a small piece of duct tape or some sort of fibered tape, (sports/medical tape), thinking it would have a better grip than most.

I was a little concerned that the thickness of the tape would shift the camera enough to cause issues with the other dials.

I have the same with mine (DX-1G in standard housing). I am able to turn it under water but the resulting opening is unpredictable so not very useful. A solution would be nice.

To get mine to work again, I had to adjust the two gears that mesh together. Over time one of them had become a bit loose and slipped down the control rod leading to too much play. Once I repositioned it and tightened it, works like a charm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom