solo diving with other divers on a private boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, he did not even drop his belt and did not have a strong surface signal device. No strobe either. Probably did not have an alternative air source like a pony bottle either. I like to take care of myself when I do solo...

This is to say in the least that there needs to be a knowledge of currents and bottom depth and time. lucky diver made it safely back from dive though.http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/news/diver-describes-being-lost-at-sea-1.12442
According to the article, it would be hard to have any more knowledge of currents and bottom depth:

Lambert has been diving for 45 years, and his local knowledge of the ocean has been fine-tuned in the 32 years since he moved to St. John.

I'm glad there's nothing he'd do differently. Perhaps he can repay the Coast Guard for the cost of rescue.

Why? Did I miss something...
He surfaced and signaled his boat; they lost him. A sailboat and motor boat failed to stop for him (either intentionally or not), he had a SMB and whistle, remained calm and survived. Unless ones argument is that everyone accessing emergency services should pay for them I don't see what he did wrong. Should someone who's house catches fire pay for the fire department?

What in the world happened there? First, his friends heard his whistle, then drove right by him, never to return. What were they thinking?

Then, two other boats come by the diver, who is well offshore with no one else around, and just shine him on. WTF? I can't imagine anyone around here seeing someone in the water and not stopping to ask if they needed help.

I read that report twice, something must be wrong with the recounting.

Sounds like conditions were rough, but I hope there's a lot more to what his boat was doing in the meantime than has been reported. Best line in the "what do you expect me to do?" follow-up:

patrick said...

well apparently he should be doing something different...

According to the article, it would be hard to have any more knowledge of currents and bottom depth:
Lambert has been diving for 45 years, and his local knowledge of the ocean has been fine-tuned in the 32 years since he moved to St. John.

He began to conserve energy.
"I thought: I'll just go ahead and start swimming," he said. "I'll just not kick hard."
He realized, however, that the current was dragging him away from the islands

Read more: Diver describes being lost at sea - News - Virgin Islands Daily News

And once again board guide pebble john adsit misses the point
choosing only to enhance it's perceived omisssions of the poster
failing to post anything of relevance greatfulness or knowledge
due to who the information came from

It's amazing what may be missed if you have ever been bounced
around in water and mostly theoretical fantasy if one has not

And once again board guide pebble john adsit misses the point
choosing only to enhance it's perceived omisssions of the poster
failing to post anything of relevance greatfulness or knowledge
due to who the information came from

It's amazing what may be missed if you have ever been bounced
around in water and mostly theoretical fantasy if one has not

The post to which I responded seemed to me to suggest that the diver's problem was a lack of familiarity with the local waters. In that case, a quotation from the story indicating that he was very familiar with the local waters seemed to me to be relevant and helpful. If I misunderstood the post to which I responded, then I am sorry, but when I look at it again, I still don't see the problem.

In general, I really do try to make posts that will contribute to the quality of discussion. I sometimes fail. It is not easy to live up in every post to the very high standards some people set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom