Rebuilding a Capitano head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetPro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was recently given a Capitano compressor head (thanks Craig for helping me with identity and filter) that I hope to turn into a nitrox fill station as a winter project. It needs a motor and some filtration, but I thought the head was reasonable. It does look rough in a couple of spots but as I started to disassemble it, I found it’s a lot worse than I thought.

There was some water in the crankcase so I decided a complete teardown was in order. This is the first one I’ve done and I was surprised to find it fairly simple but some questions have come up so I’m turning to the SB experts.

The results so far:
The Crankcase seems good.
The Crankshaft has some rust on the counterweights but I should be able to clean it off. The bearing surfaces look fine. The crankshaft bearings also look good.
Pistons may have to be replaced
Stage 1 piston looks to be shot – I’ll try to reclaim it but have low expectations.
Stage 2 piston may be useable but the rings are bad.
Stage 3 piston and sleeve look pretty good and should be OK.
I’m going to hone cylinder 1 and 2 then they should be ok.
All of the valves will be replaced or rebuilt. The Stage 1 Intake valve plate is missing – the last owner was thinking about doing a rebuild but apparently stopped there and let it sit idle.

I’m planning on cleaning the air line coolers by running simple green through them and then running a brush through followed by a thorough rinse and dry. I have some 90 cm long endoscope cleaning brushes that should work fine. I’ll use the same procedure on the oil lines.

The Oil pump had some water in it so I want to do a complete rebuild.

The questions are:
Is there a way to disassemble the roller end of the oil pump?

I assume the fat area in the oil line between the pump and the sight glass is a filter. Can it be cleaned? Can it be replaced with a serviceable filter?

If I want to add an oil pressure gauge, where is the best place to put it?

What kind of luck will I have honing the cylinders? I'm guessing the same as a small engine.

I'll get some pictures up shortly

Thanks,

Jeff

Got Pix and need help

I've disassembled everything and have requested parts quotes. A few of the more "interesting" pictures.

Crank.jpgStage1Cyl.jpgStage1Piston.jpgStage2Piston.jpgStage3Piston.jpgValveShot.jpg

The crank is good. Cylinder 1 is going to be honed and I'll put up an after picture next week. Piston 1 and 2 can't be saved. Piston 3 looks like new and the piston and sleeve assy is fine. The last picture is the #2 discharge valve. It was so tight and had so much corrosion, I couldn't get it out without destroying the head - check out the threads! Should I put some anti-seize compound on the new one when I assemble the new head?

I need some help assembling the oil pump because I was stupid. I usually scratch out some notes and diagrams if I don't have manufacturers drawings because let's face it - I'm old and I forget stuff. I didn't do that with the oil pump and I can't remember the orientation of one part. It's a "Monark" pump and I've searced a lot with no luck for a drawing.

Pump1.jpgPump2.jpg

In the 1st picture the pencil points to the location of the part and in the 2nd note the groove. Does it go in this way or turned 180 degrees? Should there be an o-ring in the groove?

Thanks,
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom