AMF VOIT Swimaster Titan II MR12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg, quimby & ew1usnr,

Thank you each for an incredibly interesting post on this regulator.

I have been interested in this regulator ever since reading ew1usnr's post on his website. SKINANDSCUBADIVING1950s-1980s

As you may remember I own a Trieste II and recently dove it to 86ft in Blue Springs and it was incredible! It was a comfort having an octo, BC inflator and SPG connected to the LP & HP ports available on the Trieste II.

Thanks again and keep up the good work. Your combined knowledge (like several others on this site) make it a must visit stop on the internet.

-JES

Greg,

Have read with interest your posts on the MR 12. I have an MR 12 III that I purchased in '83 or '84. Since then, I have used it for approximately 40 dives, troublefree with excellent performance. Even though I kept it very clean and washed it carefully after each dive, I felt I should have it serviced. I am getting outrageous prices to service it. I took off the front myself and found the diaphram and valve to be in good shape (no black rubber residue on my hands) and extremely light surface corrosion on the metal inside. I didn't attempt to touch the valve itself. I am wondering if I should consider the service, or if I should just scrap it and buy something new. It is a great little unit and I really never had any complaints about it. I dove with it again just last week. Is it truly obsolete or are the new Mares just the same design in a pretty new package? Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

I received a AMF Swimaster MR12 second stage with a pair of Conshelf XIV's I picked up last week. The serial number is 27314. If anyone is interested in trading for it(preferably for some Conshelf parts or a Conshelf 2nd stage), let me know.

I've been diving with the MR12-II since 1978, I get alot of kidding for it but it has outlasted a dozen octopuses anf first stages.

I've got 6 of these Titan II regulators at last count. I've converted one to a double hose configuration, ala the Trieste. It's a nice regulator.

I know this thread is old, but will give it a try anyway.

I am working my way back into scuba, and one of the important items I need to buy is a regulator. I come to this discussion with a bias.

In my youthful years I dove with a Voit MR12. Now some of you know how old I am. While researching the changes in SCUBA gear, I find that my regulator of choice is now found on EBay as a collectors item! Now the rest of you know how old I am, but I digress.

I liked my MR12, a lot, it took me into many of Florida’s caves and sinks, far back and quite deep, with many dives over 200’ as well as out in the ocean. Not to mention what you already know about it’s acceptance by the Navy.

I also know a little about the Voit / Mares relationship, and that Mares now markets several regulators which they claim as the MR12 first stage or an improvement there upon. This makes me immediately want to like these regulators.

My questions are as follows. Are these Mares modern regulators really based on the original MR12? Or is this simply a marketing ploy?

As I am unlikely to dive the way I did in my youth, are any or all of these regulators adequate for today’s recreational diver?

I live in KY but have lots of family, (therefore make lots of trips to) Florida. I am looking for something reliable and durable at a reasonable price. I’m not big on flash, bang, or status. It would have to tolerate 45 degree water in Kentucky’s quarries, but would mostly be used in Florida springs and sinks and on wreck / reef diving. Certainly needs to be adequate to at least 130’, preferably to 180’.

I value any advice you can give.

BG

Titan cover on my MR12.

Greg I have a Little Gem (black label) if your still looking. Please PM if interested.

Attachments

• octo.jpg
    octo.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 365
ew1usnr,

This is the mouthpieces baffle I took out of a Healthways Scuba Delux regulator mouthpiece, and put it into my AMF Voit Mouthpiece for my AMF Trieste II regulator with modifications to the venturi.
SeaRat

Hi John,
I'm very interested in this baffle. Unfortunately the attached images are no more in the archive (2003).
Do you have another one to understand the relation to the venturi in such a reg?
Thanks, Lothar
--
Das Alte Tauchen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom