SiTech dry glove problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would appreciate at least 4 of them. Let us know how the order works out, and thanks.

TSandM:

Not to play devil's advocate but if they're a pain to operate, would you consider an alternative glove system? Si Tech's Glove Lock system works super easy. It's a bit more expensive than the model that you currently use. I had them on my Pinnacle Evolution II drysuit and moved them over to my Fusion that I currently use. Line the glove to the cuff on the suit, twist the ring and it's on. The untwisting motion naturally uncouples the glove from the cuff.

Mike from DRIS has a video on the installation. Wish he had created this video some months ago, as Si Tech's instructions weren't so clear.

Claude

When I realized I was going to have to give up on the Vikings, I talked to Mike. He very sweetly sent me both sets -- the Glove Lock and the ones I bought -- so I could decide which one worked. The Glove Lock seems to require a splined part on the suit side, which I don't have. It will not go directly onto the suit rings I do have. It is also absolutely enormous. The ones I bought appeared to fit and work, and did not increase the overall profile of the rings. I did not pick up on the o-ring problem when I was deciding which one to buy.

I am hoping either to get in on Peter's purchase, or get the information on which o-rings to buy. Yesterday, despite silicone spray and SEVERAL attempts at getting the gloves on perfectly, without pinching the o-rings, I ended up with two wet and very cold and painful hands. Right now, I'd say this glove system is one of the worst performing scuba purchases I have made in the last six years, and I would not recommend them to anyone.

I am supposed to get my other suit back (I thought it was going to be here already) and Peter has probably given me the solution. I'll just put the tech skin on the other suit and go back to the Viking rings, and this suit will become my warm water and travel suit (and travel only to places where dry gloves aren't necessary!)

When I realized I was going to have to give up on the Vikings, I talked to Mike. He very sweetly sent me both sets -- the Glove Lock and the ones I bought -- so I could decide which one worked. The Glove Lock seems to require a splined part on the suit side, which I don't have. It will not go directly onto the suit rings I do have. It is also absolutely enormous. The ones I bought appeared to fit and work, and did not increase the overall profile of the rings. I did not pick up on the o-ring problem when I was deciding which one to buy.

I am hoping either to get in on Peter's purchase, or get the information on which o-rings to buy. Yesterday, despite silicone spray and SEVERAL attempts at getting the gloves on perfectly, without pinching the o-rings, I ended up with two wet and very cold and painful hands. Right now, I'd say this glove system is one of the worst performing scuba purchases I have made in the last six years, and I would not recommend them to anyone.

I am supposed to get my other suit back (I thought it was going to be here already) and Peter has probably given me the solution. I'll just put the tech skin on the other suit and go back to the Viking rings, and this suit will become my warm water and travel suit (and travel only to places where dry gloves aren't necessary!)

Did you try the method I posted earlier in this thread? I find that if you screw off the gloves 3/4 of the way you can see if the o-ring has rolled out of the groove.

So did Mike get your zipper replaced? If so do you know what he use for an adhesive to hold the zipper to the suit?

Have you also considered the UTD or Diving Concepts systems ? Both worked (for me) way better than the Si-tech, and might also fit (the UTD ones are the least bulky)

TS&M I dove with a fella at Decption Pass from canada and he just used rubber gloves and they stretched over ring on cuff no innerlocking it was awesome set up. From what I seen they was no way it could leek.

This is what I use. The gloves are cheap, the system simple, and indeed leaks are very rare. The problem is that it's extremely difficult to put both gloves on by yourself -- although I have an idea of how to solve that...
:wink:

Aqua-Andy, I've been using silicone spray rather than silicone grease, which helps mating the parts enormously, and also makes the screw system to remove the gloves work. I had not tried unscrewing it until you can just see the o-ring, but I will do that the next time I have to use the darned things.

I did the TDI/HOG equipment service class today, and the instructor has the same glove rings with the same problem. I told him about going for a smaller size o-ring, and he's going to make a run to the o-ring store in the next couple of days and see what he can find, so we'll both try that.

The story on the old suit is a long one, but no, they were never able to make the new zipper seal. White's replaced the dry core.

Tried the "unscrewing to check" system last night -- it's hopeless in the dark.

I'm working on sourcing different o-rings here locally.

I'm really unhappy with this purchase. This is, quite simply, bad design, and especially if this is a known problem, fie on SiTech for continuing to sell the system with the wrong o-rings on it. With the exception of my Oxycheq Raider lights, I cannot think of anything else I have bought for diving which has proven so unsatisfactory.

Tried the "unscrewing to check" system last night -- it's hopeless in the dark.

I'm working on sourcing different o-rings here locally.

I'm really unhappy with this purchase. This is, quite simply, bad design, and especially if this is a known problem, fie on SiTech for continuing to sell the system with the wrong o-rings on it. With the exception of my Oxycheq Raider lights, I cannot think of anything else I have bought for diving which has proven so unsatisfactory.

I got rid of mine for basically the same reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom