SiTech dry glove problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a result of putting the quick-change wrist seal system on my suit, I had to give up my beloved Viking bayonet rings, and go to the SiTech system (not the Roll-lock, the one that slides into the outer ring). I had a horrible problem getting them on and off, which has gotten better (but not good) since someone gave me the advice to lick the darned things before donning. But I've got another problem that's baffling me: When I put the glove side into the suit side ring, the o-ring is coming up out of the groove and getting pinched. Sometimes it's bad enough that I can see it happen and fix it, but other times, it's not visible, and I end up with a wet hand.

Has anyone else experienced this, and do you have a fix for it? (Any advice on getting the blasted things on and off without requiring help from your buddy would be gratefully accepted, too.)

Making the assumption that you've got the glued on version attached to your suit. You should have a rubbery ring glued to the suit, a plasticy ring inside that which captures the replaceable wrist seal, and then the gloves which push into the middle of the whole lot. The issue is that You've got the inner ring on the suit side in backwards. If you pop out the inner ring you will see that one edge has a slightly rounded edge, that needs to point out of the suit.

HTH
John

Here is the o-ring part number from McMaster Carr

1 Pack 9452K174 Buna-N O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 153, Packs of 50 (Same as 9452K342)

I am going to hold off placing an order for a little bit as I have a big order to place, plus it turns out I still have a few o-rings left.

If it is going to be awhile before you order, I'll order a pack and send them out to the others that want them. I haven't had an issue in a long time but would like to try the "updated" o-rings.

If it is going to be awhile before you order, I'll order a pack and send them out to the others that want them. I haven't had an issue in a long time but would like to try the "updated" o-rings.

Well I just placed an order for the o-rings. One pack of 50 shipped was around $15. So they cost me $.60 for two. If you would like some send me a PM. I would send them in a padded envelope so I was thinking $2 for two and $3 for four, does this sound fair? I'm just looking to cover the cost of the o-rings and shipping, does this sound fair?

Holy cow. It's threads like this that make me wonder if I'm an anomaly.

These are exactly the dry glove rings I use. They've never leaked (well, okay, I had a glove that had a hole that leaked once, but you can't blame the rings for that), and lord knows I dive them hard.

All I've done is follow the instructions. I wax the o-ring with drysuit zipper wax about once a week (every 4 dives or so).

To put them on, it takes me 4 "squeezes" once at 9 o'clock, once at 3 o'clock, again at 9 o'clock, and finally, again at 3 o'clock. Taking them off, I did have an issue occasionally with not being able to get a grip on the ring. This was solved with cutting up a bunch of little squares of 3M grip tape (the same stuff we use on our scooter handles), and sticking it on the ring like so:

SiTech_Grip_Tape.jpg

<shrugs> I'm not sure that I have a magic bullet here. Janet does the same thing and has no issues.

All the best, James

Attachments

• SiTech_Grip_Tape.jpg
    SiTech_Grip_Tape.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 487
I've had this ring system for over four years. While I initially had *many* issues, I now almost never have problems. Here's my procedures for a leak-free experience:

(1) Apply wax to the suit side ring pre-dive. I believe Si-Tech sells wax bars for this purpose. I've had the same bar since day 1 and I've used less than half. This will make pushing the rings on/off much easier.

(2) Lick the glove side main o-ring. It acts as a lubricant and also ensures it's clean.

(3) When putting the gloves on, go slowly. Work a side a bit down, then work the opposite side, go back and forth. Do *not* fully push one side down and then the other. Work the glove on slowly and evenly.

I was able to reduce my o-ring failure rate from a terrible 50% (I used to wear a wet glove under my dry glove!) to less than 5% (1 in 20 dives at worst; probably less than half that actually). If you're boat diving, you can always dunk your gloved hand into a rinse bucket to check the integrity of the connection. Even on surf entries, it's easy enough to spin off the glove and re-seat it in the water. It's been many years since I've had a leak at depth. Leaks on the surface are now very rare, but again, easily noticeable and fixable before descent.

With a bit of practice and using the above tips, I've been quite happy with this ring system. No doubt, though, there *is* a learning curve. My wife uses the Diving Concept rings, which are much more reliable (her only flood ever was the first time she used them; since then, never an issue). The upside of the Si-Techs (at least over the DC rings) is the vastly easier ability to change out a glove or install/remove the rings from the suit.

Good luck!

I hope she didn't sold her viking glove system yet. I'm currently using the SI-tech quick-change wrist seal system with my viking glove system. Using the option of putting the wrist seal on the male section of the glove lock and just smash that into the Si-tech quick-change thingie and volia, fits fine with some electrical tape.

Peter_C thank you for the info about the o-rings. I received my McMaster order today and I put an o-ring on a glove and gave it a shot. I did not do the push it in evenly thing, I just squeezed one side in then pushed the other side in(no this is not how I plan on using them), you cant make these o-rings roll out of the grove and there seems to be the same amount of friction holding on the glove as the old o-rings.

If you want to see the difference in o-rings, with an original installed on the ring system, pinch the old o-ring between your fingers. It will bunch up and you can insert a pencil tip between the o-ring and the ring. This often causes it to roll out of place and leak instantly.
112746d1326248327-sitech-dry-glove-problem-si-tech-1.jpg

Now put the new o-ring in place and it squeeze your fingers together and it won't happen. We never lube the ones on the Bare drysuit. This ring set is my brand new ones I have not put on yet.
112747d1326248341-sitech-dry-glove-problem-si-tech-2.jpg

Attachments

• Si Tech 1.jpg
    Si Tech 1.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 407
  • Si Tech 2.jpg
    Si Tech 2.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 396

Back
Top Bottom