Do Commercial Divers need OW cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never had a dive operator turn me away when I pulled out my ADC Air Range card, but the training is completely different. Real commercial diving schools do not teach scuba. So it would be a good idea for your son to, at the least, go through a basic scuba course. I only say that because it does not sound like he has any experience on scuba and getting a pencil-whip by some instructor will not do him any favors.

muddiver sort of hit in on the nail head.

Another reason to is some clients may require it. I can think of one, and I don't dive commercially.

the compressed gas cylinders scuba divers use are regulated by DOT(department of transportation). If he is surface supplied, he technically doesn't need one(scuba cirt) even somehow if he is carrying a bailout harness. The company will jam his cylinder for him. He can't legally fill it at a shop without an ow type card or legally use it for scuba.
different types of diving, dive tables, regulatory bodies. if you are using a hookah recreationally, there is no regulatory body. if your company is in the states, you are surface supplied and your company isn't ADCI, you don't need any card.

Last edited:
There is no "law" of which I'm aware that "requires" a person to have a C-Card to receationally dive. The person selling the air is free to sell to anyone s/he chooses. Interestingly enough, being certified doesn't mean that a merchant "has" to deal with you.

It's generally accepted that it's reasonable that the person getting the fill is aware of the dangers of using compressed gas; however, the Vendor has no way of knowing how said compressed air is going to be used. Is the refill for paint-ball use or used for scuba? The merchant is simply providing a product.

Holding the seller of compressed air to a higher standard-of-care would be similar to holding someone negligent for selling gasoline to someone who eventually uses it to drive impaired, or to drive dangerously. Obvious this would be ridiculous.

The whole "need a C-Card" thing is crazy. It's a way to get people to be trained and make money (although seeking training first is a prudent course of action).

I know I am digging up an old post but just came across this and had a few things to add. I have certified a number of commercial divers in the last year and am good friends with a couple of company owners and have been told that they were having to get SCUBA certified for insurance reasons. Also, while all are very comfortable in water and don't stress they usually don't know s--t about SCUBA diving. Their air consumption is horrible and bouyancy control is non-existent. However, all have finished with flying colors.

I guess what I am getting at is that while there is some overlap they really are two different beast. I have been diving since I was a child and still had a steep learning curve doing hardhat work. Enjoyed the hell out of it!

You do not need an open water certificate for commercial diving.

The only cert. a commercial diver needs to show to a diving contractor or oil company representative is your commercial diving certificate and an up to date commercial diving medical.

When i went to commercial diving school, mine you 30 + years ago, we were given an advance open water certificate.

I have been a commercial diver since 1989 and been diving Sat since '92.
I had no open water cert until 2009 when I was refused a recreational dive because I did not have one.
So I got one.
But it is by no means a pre requisite in the offshore dive business.

OK guys, I'm a commercial diver (Divers Institute of Technology in Seattle) and a PADI Master Instructor and a USCG 100 TON Master. I'm currently working as a commercial diver and diving division manager of an international company. Anyone who says "training" be it SCUBA or commercial is not required or necessary because they are one type of diver or another is buying into the BS that gets guys killed. SCUBA has its uses, just like hard hats and surf sup has its uses. My guys are all trained through Rescue Diver through PADI and hold a IMCA cert. PADI Rescue is a better program than any training you receive at commercial schools. If you are doing anything on SCUBA then absolutely its required to be certified at least through Open Water level. In my experience commercial divers in general are horrible scuba divers. DONT buy into the ego based opinions, training saves lives. The more training and experience a diver has the better.

OK guys, I'm a commercial diver (Divers Institute of Technology in Seattle) and a PADI Master Instructor and a USCG 100 TON Master. I'm currently working as a commercial diver and diving division manager of an international company. Anyone who says "training" be it SCUBA or commercial is not required or necessary because they are one type of diver or another is buying into the BS that gets guys killed. SCUBA has its uses, just like hard hats and surf sup has its uses. My guys are all trained through Rescue Diver through PADI and hold a IMCA cert. PADI Rescue is a better program than any training you receive at commercial schools. If you are doing anything on SCUBA then absolutely its required to be certified at least through Open Water level. In my experience commercial divers in general are horrible scuba divers. DONT buy into the ego based opinions, training saves lives. The more training and experience a diver has the better.

not knowing much about commercial diving, if I were running a company that did commercial diving, I would want my employees to have as much training as possible. so, imho this is how it should be.

There are 10 schools teaching Comm Diving in the USA. Check their webpage, not a single one of them requires an OW cert to start class. In addition, you are not given an OW certification in class.

When I finished Comm Dive school, I was proud as a peacock to have the cert. I tried to use that card everywhere, and was refused almost everywhere and forced to show a PADI or NSS-CDS card. I had multiple friends from school that couldn't get on charters in the keys.

Ultimately, we found a PADI instructor who would cert them OW.

Realistically, Comm Divers really should go through an OW course. They are taught nothing of buoyancy, trim, propulsion. We walk the bottom, not swim the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom