My first dive video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice job for a first vid and some REALLY cool shots :)

One tip though. Stay away from the zoom as much as possible when taking video, both above and below land. As you probably noticed yourself it exagurate all movement quite a lot.
Then again, sometimes you just dont have the option of getting closer, wildlife is a bit tricky in that regard :p

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed your video. The eagle rays were awesome.

Love the eagle rays too. It's funny listening to the original audio before putting the music in. You can hear my nice slow deep breathing until the eagles show up and then all of a sudden I sound like a panting dog!

Nice job for a first vid and some REALLY cool shots :)

One tip though. Stay away from the zoom as much as possible when taking video, both above and below land. As you probably noticed yourself it exagurate all movement quite a lot.
Then again, sometimes you just dont have the option of getting closer, wildlife is a bit tricky in that regard :p

Yes, that is one of the things I learned. Either stay off the zoom or develop a nice soft touch on the zoom button. Tough to do with the housing though. I think I also need to pan more slowly most of the time as well.

Wow, some great footage there. :D

Nice! Was that a Bull Shark in there at the 4:40 mark?

No, that one and the one right after it were both black tips seen on the same dive about ten minutes apart.

Love the eagle rays too. It's funny listening to the original audio before putting the music in. You can hear my nice slow deep breathing until the eagles show up and then all of a sudden I sound like a panting dog!

Yes, that is one of the things I learned. Either stay off the zoom or develop a nice soft touch on the zoom button. Tough to do with the housing though. I think I also need to pan more slowly most of the time as well.
The zoom function by itself is one thing, the other is that its hard to be 100% still under water and having zoomed in, every movement you make is severely amplified on screen when zoomed in vs zoomed out.
I learned this first hand with semi-pro cameras (which are "shoulder mounted") on land and I cant see it being any easier in water with much more compact cameras :eek:

sweet videos! are you using the CHDK hack? If so set your video quality for 90-99% - be forewarned - VERY large files. And do a manual white balance every chance you get - you can shoot a white patch of sand or hold your palm in front of camera (little tricky)

White balancing, despite its name, is not neccesary to do on any white or even white-ish color.
You can actually use black for white balance. The key is that its a neutral color :wink:

Using more prominent colors like green, blue or red can make for some really cool effects too, as it wont give you the correct colors but make the result look a completely different temprature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom