Costa Cruise Ship partially sunk off the coast of Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is said news! I wonder how such a modern ship can get 4 miles off-course! Hopefully there's minimal life casualty!

This is said news! I wonder how such a modern ship can get 4 miles off-course! Hopefully there's minimal life casualty!

One report I read indicated they were having electrical problems as early as 3 days prior to her sinking. Not sure that it was consistent but it makes me wonder to what extent the troubles were. Its possible that there were more problems then the media is even releasing.

It was such a botched voyage from the get go with eye witness reports saying that no pre departure emergency drills being performed. Now why this was not done is beyond me.

There are reports of the crew refusing to evacuate the ship early on in the incident as well. People demanding to board life boats were initially told to leave the muster stations which in itself is odd.

one crew member reported that when she felt the ship shudder she was requested to return to her quarters without any explanation of what just happened. When she asked she stated that there was some electrical issues but nothing more.

The captain himself reportedly even abandoned ship without giving any instructions to the crew or being more or less no help what so ever in the emergency.

This is going to be interesting to see how this unfolds I promise!

Men stepped over women and children to get on lifeboats. The ships Capt. was at the bar and then abandoned ship. This cruise company better have a deep wallet.

Men stepped over women and children to get on lifeboats. The ships Capt. was at the bar and then abandoned ship. This cruise company better have a deep wallet.

Carnival owns Costa and Carnival is the largest cruise company in the world...

BBC World today had interviews with passengers who stated that they had to fight each other for life jackets etc., going to be an interesting investigation.

Now only 17 passengers unaccounted for, hopefully they are found alive soon.

Maritime law requires that life boat drills be done in the first 24 hours after sailing. This ship sailed at 730pm which is why the drill was scheduled for the next day.

The Cataptain is claming that whatever it hit wasn't on the chart. Really? In the Med? A CNN video says a local diver is doing to check a mount/rock he thinks it hi to look for paint or other damage.

Disclaimer, it might not be "maritime law" but there's something that says that...

Last edited:
Cool depiction.

Attachments

• Cruise Ship.jpg
    Cruise Ship.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 28,129
Captain Of Capsized Cruise Liner Reportedly Sailed Close To Island To Please Head Waiter | Fox News

The captain of a capsized cruise liner reportedly sailed the ship close to the rocky shores of Giglio to please his head waiter who comes from the island, Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera reported Monday.

Officials and witnesses said earlier that the disaster may have been caused by a risky practice of close-passing the island of Giglio in a foghorn-blasting salute to the local population.

Speaking Monday, Costa Crociere Chairman and CEO Pier Luigi Foschi said that based on initial assessments, it appeared that the ship was following a pre-programmed route before it crashed.

He told a news conference that, "this route was put in correctly. The fact that it left from this course is due solely to a maneuver by the commander that was unapproved, unauthorized and unknown to Costa."

Back
Top Bottom