Tough little nuts on the weighted STA...quick question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sean C

Contributor
Reaction score
I just took the 6 lbs brick out of my wife's STA. She only needs 8-10lbs total and in order to have some ditchable weight in warm salt water it had to go.

But, I had quite the fight with those two little tenacious nuts that were on the sta (you know the ones with the plastic in them). I think they are some kind of lock nut.

Only after putting the little ^%$#&'s back on did I see the two wing nuts in the pack. Now here is my "FNG" question: could I not just switch over to the wing nuts and if so do they hold?

I realize they would always need to be checked to ensure they are not releasing but there use would make switching between a weighted and non weighted STA so much easier.

Apologies if this is a ridiculously simple question, we just recently switched over to Halcyon.

Thanks

Sean

The nuts with the plastic inserts are called Nyloc nuts

You can just use the wing nuts, with a spring washer underneath, and check them as you say

Use the wing nuts with a lock washer.

Those nylock nuts are a bit@#. I got a new Infinity system and the first time I tried to loosen the nuts I spun out one of the elevator bolts, at least that's what it looked like, in the STA weight. I had to hack into the weight and put a pair of vice grips on the head of elevator bolt to get the nut off. This happened the day I received it, a quick call to Diveseekers and a new weight was on the way. I'm going with a wing nut and lock washer from now on. H supplied wing nuts but no lock washers with the STA but a quick trip to the bolt bin at work fixed that one.

Edit: Tortuga, if you see a wild woman in Shanghai wearing a Steeler jersey it might be my sister...

Wing nuts for sure you just have to make them part of your pre dive check list. I also leave the two bottom nuts out of the storage pak for easy access.

Do you use lock washers on your rig? It seems like they would come loose without them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You don't HAVE to use them, but there's no reason not to, and if you don't you should check them every dive

Spring-Washer-DIN127-.jpg

You don't HAVE to use them, but there's no reason not to, and if you don't you should check them every dive

View attachment 113485

I'm a little paranoid and tend to believe they should be used, but for some reason Halcyon didn't supply any and that has me wondering why.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom