TOURIST DIES ON REEF SNORKELLING TRIP (on the GBR off Port Douglas QLD AUS)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver257a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The following report appeared at Tourist dies on reef snorkelling trip - Yahoo!7, assessed 17/01/2012, 6.21pm (GMT+09:30)

"Queensland authorities are investigating the death of an overseas tourist on the Great Barrier Reef.The man in his 40s was on a snorkelling trip at Saxon Reef, about 40 nautical miles off the coast of Port Douglas, when he went into cardiac arrest just before 11:00am.A rescue helicopter flew paramedics to the boat but he died before they arrived.The man's body has been brought back to Cairns.His family has yet to be notified.Earlier today the Queensland Government released recommendations from an industry reference group to improve safety for dive and snorkel tour operators.They include having two staff independently conduct passenger head counts and compulsory medicals for any entry-level dive course candidates who are overweight, over 45 or have high-risk medical conditions."

My sympathies to the snorkeller's family. It would be interesting to learn more about this case.

However, the safety issues are being reviewed all the time, not just when something happens - we had a chance to discuss this with a couple of divemasters on our trip to the GBR. I do agree with the dive medical before an entry course - actually, I thought it was already required.

Regarding the headcount - we were diving from Poseidon on the Agincourts back in October. Poseidon leaves from Port Douglas. There were multiple headcounts done - everyone had to remain in place and we were counted on the way out, once after each dive and again before the boat left that site to move to the next location, once after the final dive and once more before the boat left the reef. In each case at least four crew took separate counts and reported independently to the first officer.

If it was a heart attack it would be interesting to see if they had an auto defibrillator aboard. It's not a magic bullet but it can be helpful, particularly if you're out in the middle of the ocean!

Earlier today the Queensland Government released recommendations from an industry reference group to improve safety for dive and snorkel tour operators.They include having two staff independently conduct passenger head counts and compulsory medicals for any entry-level dive course candidates who are overweight, over 45 or have high-risk medical conditions."

Bold emphasis mine. The Nanny State strikes again. So, everybody with a pot belly is banned from snorkeling until medically cleared? Oh, you're in great athletic trim but you're 46? Too bad! Newsflash: everybody dies. Most people prefer to live until they do.

Be interesting to see a study showing controlling busybodies lose 20 years off their life expectancies, 30 if they try to impact public policy in any way. I wonder how conflicted they would be?

Richard.

Reactions: Heg
I went on one of these tours off Port Douglas recently (by accident, but that's another story). Considering the number of people on the boat, it's really suprising there aren't more accidents. The operator was extremely organised, did multiple counts, had multiple watchers etc. But the simple fact is that once in a while, some person is going to have a medical emergency while they happen to be snorkeling. And there is such a wider variety of people on these things, with such a wide range of swimming skills, it's amazing to me that the staff manage to avert so many potential incidents. I think they do a great job in regards to safety.

Richard ... I too am opposed to over-regulation of what is a recreational pursuit BUT I do not see anything wrong with operators insisting that people are screened for health issues that could impact on their own personal trip, the trip of up to 100 other guests and the crew on the vessel. As someone who has been (and will continue to be) involved in the aftermaths of diving accidents and incidents I for one would happily endorse compulsory medicals for those that fall into high risk categories.

Unfortunately the reality is that people do die while diving, exercising or simply sleeping in bed. But personally if I was asked to take a medical prior to undergoing dive training (this is not required before a recreational trip). I would do it - I love my diving but I prefer living. Note that the proposal is only for ENTRY LEVEL TRAINING. This for my thinking is probably not sufficient.

DAN in Australia require older divers to undergo a diving medical before being accepted for insurance. In the past month we have had divers who after their medicals have been sent off for bypass surgery. These are people that considered themselves fit to dive but who had underlying cardiac issues that were only picked up because someone insisted they have a medical.

If more divers took personal responisibility for their health then these medicals would not need to be complusory but the reality is that even with the proposals being accepted, after an initial check, prior to an open water course, most divers will not undergo another medical unless required.

But personally if I was asked to take a medical prior to undergoing dive training (this is not required before a recreational trip). I would do it - I love my diving but I prefer living.

A choice that you should make, not the government.

I realize that in a litigious society dive op.s might have little choice but to try to minimize their risk, and insurance companies discriminate against high risk new applicants as a matter of prudent business practice.

My contention is that the government should not enable lawyers, law enforcement, etc..., to create a litigiously hazardous environment where dive op.s need to enact such requirements under law.

If I want to pay a Physician to evaluate me and render to me an opinion on my suitability for diving, in his judgment, I can do so, and act on that knowledge (or not) as I see fit. This is not a legitimate role of government (I'm an adult in my right mind, of course).

Be mindful that a Physician must also consider liability risk management issues with clearing people to dive, and from his perspective, the safest course of action is for the diver not to dive, and diving is a hobby, not 'necessary.'

Don't ask, don't tell should at least be an option.

Richard.

I'm in Cairns at the moment this didn't even make the local paper (or I missed it). Every year here 3 or 4 tourist "die" here, while on a reef trip. When you have 1.7 million visitors (old figure off the top of my head - numbers have dropped in recent years) a year, all visiting to dive or snorkel the GBR statistically your going to have people die while snorkelling or diving. As to general fitness, personal accountablity has to count somewhere. You wear a beer gut you take a risk in life expectancy in general. I would say the dive industry here is highly safety conscious (and regulated) compared to Thailand and Philippines! Dive safe.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to the local forum for this event

As a local of Cairns and a dive instructor here since 1990 I am so F*&^%$#g sick of stupid remarks about our industry and “accidents”.

The impulse to write massive expletives here is hard to control. Firstly people have heart attacks and drop down dead, or get sick, everywhere and at any time. With over a million visitors to the Reef a year, it’s a wonder not more are reported. Of course it didn’t make the local paper. Why should it? The poor guy had a heart attack. If he had had one in a local supermarket should we all avoid shopping in the fresh produce isle in case he got a bit too excited over a fresh bunch of carrots? Maybe a heart attack on an aeroplane means we should not fly unless we have a full blood test, medical and provide our full families medical history .

When I started working for a larger operator that catered more for the older retiree person, in the first 4 months had to perform CPR 3 times. All to persons that had had a heart attack or stroke and all died (one was 37 but totally unfit and the coroner aid he was a walking time bomb). It was pretty commonplace and although not nice, was part of life.

Grow up people! His condition had NOTHING to do with what he was doing except maybe, and I say MAYBE, he overexerted himself. Could have done that walking up some stairs. It was just his time to go.

Before you take a learn to dive course in Australia you have to have a full dive medical. Other countries just make you answer the medical statement as required by PADI or NAUI etc.

We also have 2 people doing head counts on boats, so that article is about 5 years behind the times. We have been doing this for years. Also the trip this guy died on was NOT out of Port Douglas it was out of Cairns. Dumb ill-informed hacks. Makes me sick and mad to continually see crap like this getting thrown about.

Get the facts right if you report it, and if you read it do some research and ask those of us who live and work here. Don’t believe everything you read.

I agree with most of your comments Aquapro, but to be fair the article did say that the man was at Saxon reef, which is effectively straight out from Port Douglas, and no claim was made to Port Douglas being the home port for this guy's trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom