Lionfish Hunting in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just don't eat their venom sack it might ruin your day for life. I hear they taste like Liver and Onions topped off with Turnip Greens.

So, that's what happened to you? I knew it would'a been something like that.

FWIW, we were at FIBR in early December- saw one Lion Fish out at a dive site, but saw at least 3 while snorkling in the bay in front of the main resort building- out by the point where the dive boats go out the channel towards the Prince Albert. Had fun trying to come up with some means to spear them with sharpened sticks (we're kind of rednecky)- someone at the airport on the way home mentioned the baggie trick- Doh!

As an aside- snorkling in that bay was something that doesn't get mentioned enough- we saw a lot of neat stuff out there- our only octo of the trip, squid, a ray, lots of smaller and juvenile fish, better lighting for photography, etc. By the end of the week we were even doing night snorkels out there.
I am thinking about strapping a long handled Bar-B-Q fork to my leg, stab and drop 'em dead for the crabs & lobsters. Eating fish that eat reef fish that eat algae can be toxic in some cases. I'll dine from the FIBR buffet. :cool2:

Need to check out that lagoon. Never did. Thanks! :cool3:
Reports on the NC diving Forum, various dive shops there, discuss eating lionfish. They say that you must cut off the spines on their back (that is the only place with any venom) but after that they can be prepared like other fish. They say the lionfish taste just like grouper!
That erroneous info will get people hurt. They are very easy to approach in the water, no fear of divers, and the belly is the easiest to stab, but know your prey. From NOAA National Ocean Service Education: Lionfish Discovery Story
The lionfish (scientific name Pterois volitans) is a popular saltwater aquarium fish with distinctive maroon (or brown) and white stripes, fleshy tentacles above the eyes and below the mouth, and an imposing fan of prickly venomous spines. Although not fatal, the sting of a lionfish is extremely painful....
The lionfish's sharp, slender spines are located on the dorsal, anal, and pelvic fins.
Like nature would make them venomous on the back only?! NOT! And that is the correct specie. Seen 'em, know the difference between P.volitans and others.
Mark had one of the Lion Fish hitch a ride on his tank back in Sept. It kept him out of the "hunting business" for a bit.
:confused: Huh?

Wrong, Don - read:
MenuPages Blog :: South Florida: Eat Lionfish, Save The Reefs
there is a venom sac attached to the dorsal spines, the meat is perfectly safe to eat.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/287885-lionfish-recipes.html
Yeah, the meat is probly safe to eat, but as NOAA explains: "The lionfish's sharp, slender spines are located on the dorsal, anal, and pelvic fins," not just dorsal or back as mentioned above.

It appears that, that Lionfish had been immitating a Remora. It hitched a ride after Mark had failed to capture it. It was a bit unnerving for him at the time as he knew the fish was close, but couldnt find it. We managed to coax it off.

I stay in RTB every year for a min of 2 weeks at a time. Im headed down to stay for 24 days this year in Feb. Last year I went to the Marine park office in West End. After filling out the proper paperwork going thru an interview process and paying my $$$ and waiting a day or two for things to get done...Yes...everyone is on Island time LOL I was issued a Lion Fish Hunting License and a spear. I have went out diving in front of our place and have killed up to 20 in 1 dive. I have also went in front of Bannaramma and done the same thing...not quite as plentiful there as I think the DM's keep them killed off. No I didn't bring any of them back to eat. I figure that since they are a huge predator to the smaller fish.... why not give the smaller fish some revenge and let them have an easy meal for the day. I might try to bring a couple back and eat them this year but I figure doing my part to help thin these guys out is the least I can do so we all will have some fish to look at when we dive in RTB! Just my 2 cents.

lionfish tastes great. we managed to devour 400 of them at the recent lionfish cookoff on utila. we had them as sushi, curry, fish cakes, stewed, chipino and my favorite cerviche. i should mention all 400 hundred were butchered without a single injury.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom