Photographer fights off shark with camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I think this is new. Not sure when it happened. He got a great shot...

article-2090134-1167714F000005DC-15_634x477.jpg

From Diver survives tiger shark attack in the Bahamas by fending off 12ft-beast with camera | Mail Online
This is the terrifying moment a daring diver looked into the jaws of one of the world's most dangerous animals.
Forced to fend-off the tiger shark with just his camera the adventurer came perilously close to the wrong kind of snap.
Conservationalist Russell Easton was photographing the 12ft beast in the Bahamas when he got the close-up he was not expecting.

The professional underwater photographer and diver says: 'I was looking through the view finder of the camera when I suddenly saw this huge mouth and teeth.
The 42-year-old professional underwater photographer and diver says: 'I was looking through the view finder of the camera when I suddenly saw this huge mouth and teeth.

'It is only because of the camera I was not bitten. Sharks bite because that is how they find out what something is - they use their mouth as we use our hands - and it had its mouth wide open, about to bite me.
“In that moment I managed to get one shot of the inside of its mouth. Thankfully sharks are attracted to cameras and bit that instead, giving me vital seconds to swim away.'

It was only afterwards I realised the camera had probably saved my life and how fortunate I was.'
Despite his lucky escape, Mr Easton, from Newcastle-upon-Tyne maintains the shark was not trying to hurt him.

He says: 'I don't think he was attacking me. He was just curious and wanted to know what I was so was going to take a nibble to find out.

The problem is a tiger shark's mouth is so large and it's teeth so sharp that if a shark takes a nibble out of you, the bite is so huge it is often fatal.'
Despite the close call the seasoned diver is due return to Cat Island, Bahamas to photograph sharks and is looking for a sponsor.

I did not like the word "beast"

From the other pics I saw, this looked like a planned shark dive. Is this the "famous' tiger shark that people go to the Bahamas to see? I know she has a name, but can not remember it.

It kinda looks staged, but I guess another photographer just kept shooting. They do often chum in the Bahamas I think.

That pic doesn't look like anything that other photogs couldn't get in the Bahamas (stick camera in face of shark and pull shutter). The pics the other photogs took look like every tiger beach pic I've seen on Shark Diver .com. My guess is this guy saw a tiger, went home, and wanted to make a splash with his fellow countrymen who have never seen a shark before.

I've been on a few shark dives and it's not unusual for a curious shark to nudge a diver. Diving in Fiji, I had a lemon shark that would not leave me alone despite constantly bumping his nose with my camera.

Hi everyone - Well Ive got news for all of you! The image with the open mouth is my image. It was stolen from one of my sites and used without my permission. Long story! Im very disappointed in the fact that it was used in an article that headlines "Attack". Russell Easton did not take that image. I did.

The image was taken near Tiger Beach last August and this was a thoroughly planned shark dive aboard the Shear Water. We do not feed the sharks but we do chum the water. Being at the right place at the right time ...always helps! Just a little inside info. I will be doing an artcle for Dive Photo Guide describing the shot. Thanks and Save the Sharks! TN Diver

www.stevenandersonphotography.com

1. Always use the right tool for the job.
2. A hammer is always the right tool.
3. Anything can be used as a hammer.:laughing:

THAT.....is a cool signature!

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom