NiTek Q

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No I don't have either one. The Niteq Q is fairly new and a niche product so I'm not surprised no one with experience posts.

And what niche is that, a high quality, advanced 2 gas nitrox computer for $599 with expandabilty to trimix and CCR?

I dove mine yesterday for the first time. I loved the screen, very bright, easy to see. The buttons where very easy to use, gas programming and switching was a cinch. Software leaves something to be desired, but not that big of deal.
I have borrowed and used the shearwater, x1, and cochran trying to decide which one I wanted. I couldn't pass up the price on this, very happy with it.

Ha, no software, at least not yet. I talked to Jon at dive rite, there is a delay with the software. Not really an issue for me because I don't really download my profiles nor was I planning to. The downside is if you need to unlock features you have to send it to lake city and have them do it.

Ah, you meant PC software. I thought you meant the software on the unit.

Got the Nitek Q and I am totally disappointed. The concept of a computer growing with you is a great idea. However, the computer is so basic that at the base price it does not even have a safety stop countdown or a deep safety stop count down. I called Diverite and they said they have not designed it yet? It was like buying a nice car with no motor but you can buy everything piece by piece at a seperate price. Diverite also didn't even have a lens protector. They recommended a cell phone protector which I am now using. The problem is now, there is a huge glare that you can hardly see the screen because of the screen color in contrast to the screen protector. For the value, you can get much more with any other 3 gas switching computer on the market. I hope Diverite makes some serious adjustments to this computer because I know they do have a good product line. I think the carriage is infront of the horse on this computer when it came out ! who agrees..​

I agree, and I really hope someone from DR takes heed of all the posts popping up about the Q and its short-comings. While I don't much care about the safety stop countdown, the Log portion of the computer is dreadful when you consider the cost of the entry model. My Nitek Plus gives me 3x the data for less than a 1/3 of the cost (I have the Trimix Q). I can't even get water temp out of it post-dive. On my third phone call to DR about the software release date, I asked the guy I spoke to about getting more detailed data out of the Log and his response was to get the data I was looking for during the dive. SERIOUSLY?!?!? Every other computer I've ever owned has been able to give me more than depth and time post-dive.

Now for the software - WTH?!? I've been getting the "just a few weeks" response since January. I have a real hard time paying for something and not getting what I paid for. Waiting for 5 months is patient enough. All the dive data the thing stores is useless and unretrievable without the software, AND according to DR there's no way to unlock additional features without the software. I was pretty excited about it when I first got it, now it's becoming more and more of a disappointment with each passing day. The even more unfortunate part is that as people are complaining about it more and more, trying to sell it is becoming impossible.

This is an example of what not to do - Don't base the functionality and usability of a dive computer on a piece of desktop software that doesn't exist.

DR really needs to step up and give customers full disclosure. Hiding just breeds contempt. My Nitek Q is CC so cost my a grand, is it really too much to ask?
All that is needed would be to post online an honest assessment of what their intentions are. Then a person would at least now if they have a state of the art computer, or a $1000.00 paper weight. To not do this or something similar will result the loss of future customers.
Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom