Where would YOU go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T.C.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had a question for the board. I'm going on a trip to Bonaire in about 2 weeks (2 weeks, 1 day, 10 hours and about 51 minutes... give or take a few seconds, and would like some advice on dive sites.

Some background; We'll be staying at Buddy Dive, and have the use of a rental truck. My family is going, but only my sister dives, so it will be just us in the water. She is a new diver, she completed her five open water dives last summer, and hasn't been diving since, except a refresher with her shop.

I have over 125 dives, and have been diving for nearly three years, with the exception of last year (which was a year-long trip to a very unfriendly place called Afghanistan). I have not been diving since my leave in September, but still consider myself quite capable.

I've never been to Bonaire, and would like to know; what do you consider the top 15 sites you wouldn't miss?

Thanks,
TC

There are a LOT of dive sites on Bonaire and I STILL haven't dove them all (the publicly accessible ones) after five trips. It's silly to talk about the top 15; the top five might be possible.

Especially with a new diver, you want to take it easy and build skills and confidence first. So focus on your house reef and some of the easy-access south-of-town dive sites first. What I often do is spend some time after my first and second AM dives surveying nearby dive sites for possible use in coming days, seeing how easy the entry looks.

Eventually, I get in the mode of alternating between north and south dive sites with two tanks in the morning. Then I do a third tank in the afternoon, closer to where I'm staying. Then a fourth tank at night.

TC,
eventually I'd go north. Best dive I did was at tailor maid. Karparta is great too as is tolo. all are further north dives. I not as familiar with southern sites but I am sure there are good one there too-salt pier is a good one. bottom line there are many and you will have a great time. Will be there in March and can't wait too.

I've been to Bonaire four times now, and though that hardly makes me an expert, I remember having the same question as you before my first trip. After diving a few sites, you will discover that most of them are much more similar to each other than they are different. It really doesn't matter which ones you dive. Sure, some have easier or more difficult entries than the others, some have double reefs, etc., but few sites offer divers anything vastly different from other sites. Start out on some that are mentioned frequently and you can't go wrong. There are essentially no poor sites--they're all great. On each trip, my buddies and I inevitably rave about some dive at some site where we had a particularly good time for one reason or another, but it's rarely the same site we raved about on a previous trip.

Hi T.C.

First of all, THANK YOU for your service to our country; we are so glad you have returned home safely from Afghanistan. Enjoy your leave time!

Sounds like you are going to do just that as you head to Bonaire.. how wonderful for you and your sister!

Having been to Bonaire numerous times - and just returned from a 2-week dive trip there, as a matter of fact - you will love the ease of diving Bonaire. My advice to you: keep it simple, dive within your limits and experience level, and seek out guidance from your local divemaster as to where to dive when you are there as you get back into diving after having been out of the water for a few months. You and your sister will be required to attend a marine park briefing - usually informal yet informative - and do a checkout dive with your divemaster before you go out on your own. It's a great time to ask questions, get a good map of the dive sites, and double check to be sure you have all your equipment ready to roll before you venture out.

As you are staying at Buddy Dive, they are one of the larger and more popular dive resorts. If you have their boat-dive package, you can enjoy usually 2-tank dives each day, with optional night dives, etc., depending on your package. Most boat operators in Bonaire will take you to Klein Bonaire and/or many other sites on Bonaire which are only or more easily boat-dive accessible.

Ocean conditions and currents this time of year are actually pretty good overall, but the conditions can change instantly, of course. We encountered a bit more current at some of the southern sites this trip, with less visibility. Again, seek guidance and check out the conditions before you enter the water if you are unsure. With so many dive sites to choose from, if one site is a bit choppy or waves too strong for you, simply drive to the next site.

A few of our favorite sites that we do on most every dive trip to Bonaire:
Bari Reef, Andrea 1&2, Cliffs, and south: Red Slave, Margate Bay, Sweet Dreams, Jeanine's Glory, Salt Pier, Angel City and north: Tori/Ol' Blue, Karpata, 1000 Steps and Oil Slick.

If conditions are great at one particular site, my buddy and I have been known to dive the same site 2-3 times - with safe time to off gas in between dives of course - in succession. There is always something new to see at the same site, and you don't have to dive deep to enjoy some really nice diving in Bonaire.

Keep us posted on your diving in Bonaire, and most of all, ENJOY yourselves.

God speed and safe diving to you and your sister,
MS, Divemoreworkless

One thing I can recommend highly is a late afternoon dive right off the Buddy Dive dock. I call it rush hour on the reef. The diurnal fish and creatures are looking for one last snack before finding a place to sleep, the nocturnal creatures are beginning to stir, several big tarpon herd the school of silversides right in front of and under the dock (and will try to herd you too if you're there). It was probably my favorite dive there, and we didn't even have to get in the truck!

Several things.. Do a night dive right off the dock at Buddy's and for a different experience an early A.M dive (enter about 06:00 when still dark).
Don't forget to make several trips on the boat over to Klein. Advice...take your time & go slow. Been diving Bonaire's reefs over 25 years & rest assured there are many many sites which I haven't dove.
Regarding shore dives, pick a few up north & don't forget some of the southern dive sites. My personal favs down south are the lake, The Rock (unmarked) & Vista Blue. The key is go slow, dive within your capabilities and be careful of your entry & exits. Be sure to wear good hard soled boots & open heel fins.

I also want to thank you for your service and welcome home. I too will be traveling to Bonaire, not in two weeks but in three. I only visited Bonaire once, that was in October of 2008, and our trip was interrupted by the formation of Tropical Storm/Hurricane Omar. We stayed at Buddy dive and had a great time for the 3 days we were able to dive. Now I'm going back - and it's not hurricane season. I loved the reef in front of Buddy's. We aren't staying there but I'd like to go back and dive that reef as well as Barri Reef. I'm looking to all you Bonaire experts to help with any advice that helps me dive these "resort reefs" but not make a complete fool out of myself. The question I'd like to ask is what is the protocol for diving on a resort reef if you aren't staying there? Is there anything special that one needs to do? Thanks in advance

The question I'd like to ask is what is the protocol for diving on a resort reef if you aren't staying there? Is there anything special that one needs to do? Thanks in advance
Check in with the on-site dive operator. At a couple of places we rented tanks from them at others we used the ones in our truck.
At Habitat they charged $5? for use of the lockers, showers etc - we dove Cliff from there.

I've never been to Bonaire, and would like to know; what do you consider the top 15 sites you wouldn't miss?
top 12...

north:
Rappel (boat)
Witches Hut
Jeff Davis Memorial (boat)
Cliff
Bari Reef
south:
Angel City
Alice in Wonderland
Salt Pier
Invisibles