Hair Care when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starrlamia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
my hair gets soo gross after diving, I'll be in coz for a week diving everyday, what can I do to help minimize damage to my hair from the salt water?

Cut it short!
I don’t think the salt water will damage the hair but rather the freeness of the hair floating and getting knotted up. Try and contain your hair with either a hood, cap or keep it tightly well braided

Hey, I use VO-5 creme in my hair before I dive. It's not "slick" so my mask or hood doesn't slide. It penetrates the hair shaft so the hair isn't damaged from the salt and sun. As you dive, it gradually rinses out, so when you are do shower, it's easy to get the rest out. This has been a life saver as I have somewhat long hair. When I do braid my hair, this helps the braid hold too. Also, comb it out with a wide-toothed comb or pick when wet and use a cloth covered hair band/scrunchee.

Hope this helps.

I have baby fine hair and no sort of braid or ponytail or clips worked. My hair was ripping to shreds. My hair dresser suggested that I wet my hair before diving to saturate the hair shaft. Sometimes I will saturate it with a spray on conditioner. I put it in pig tails (better than pony because it gets caught less) and wear a dorkie beanie cap to keep it from getting tangled and torn. I fresh water rinse and put a heavy conditioner in it and comb it out after each dive. Typically I will put in a heavy leave in conditioner after a dive trip too.

I look like a dork but my hair is holding up much better.

I don't comb (or do anything) to my hair after diving until I'm taking a shower. Once I'm in the shower, I saturate it with conditioner, and only then do I comb it out. The comb then slides through easily with no tangle effect. After that I usually just rinse it --- I save shampooing for the end of the trip or at least only every four or five days or so. I figure the natural oils don't need to be taxed any more than they already are with diving.

After this routine, my hair is usually nicer after the dive trip then it was before (and this is salt-water diving). (I tend to have sort of dry/coarse hair.)

I've read that conditioner is not great for the reef, so I have never tried using it before diving. That said, the "conditioner to comb out in shower" method has been working well, so I've also never had a need to research it to see how true it is.

During the dive I usually use an off-center braid (on-center was hitting the regulator), which also helps to keep my mask strap from slipping down. I recently did a few dives with a hood (colder water), and wow, that was convenient. No tangles, no hair-to-mask-strap interference, and the mask strap stuck like glue.

I can see why people who dive a lot might consider "buzzing" long hair.

I am a man, so that being said, I do not tend to have long hair often, but I do grow it out now and then to donate to Locks for Love. So it gets pretty crazy after it has been growing for 18 to 24 months.

My favorite trick to get rid of tangles and damage, so i can at least get a comb through it, is skin mosturizer. Works great, drys in fast, and also holds well, without looking like a 14 year old that just discovered styling gel. Bonus feature here, will help with any dandruff from a dry scalp

Biolage protective hair oil has worked well for me, even when my hair was long. Spray a little on before you dive (it doesn't rinse out in the water so shouldn't hurt anything). It protects from sun, salt and chlorine and let's you get a comb through afterwards. Shampoo out at end of day. My hair is short now but the color still needs protecting. When it was long I found a French braid worked pretty well for control, except that my mask strap always tore the hair at the temples. Ouch!

i thought i replied yesterday.

in any case thank you guys for your recommendations, I want to make sure if i use any products it is safe for the ecosystem, that is my top concern. I have pretty short hair, not buzz cut short but I had a chelsea during the summer so the shortest bits are about 4 inches, just enough to get in the way and get gross when diving lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom