I hate dive flags!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Novice divers.. have no clue how to effectively tow a dive flag...:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

The very best way is to get your buddy to tow it.. don't they teach this in dive classes anymore? :confused:

Where i dive, we generally always carry a float. There are two choices, cheap polypropalene yellow rope of 3/16 or some people use 1/8" too. We have a small light weight grappling hook on the end. What i have done to reduce the entanglement issues is to run the last 6 feet or so of the line through some clear vinyl tubing (from home depot).. Bright yellow pneumatic air line hose works too. Anyway, you tie knots on either end of the tubing/hose so it is fixed.

Here's another hint: They make these little metal grappling hooks for hanging horse stuff in a barn. I don't even know what they hang on them? However, they are very cheap, pretty damn strong and if you rinse them after use, you will lose it before it rusts too much..

It is nearly impossible to get tangled in the rope because it is held kinda stiff by the hose. I won't wrap around your first stage etc and the drag is minimal.

The other option is to use a good reel and a grappling hook. This is more expensive to get a good decent reel. If you keep the line short and taunt, it is less liely to wrap you up. for a few years now i have been using dynema line (used for kite surfing) it is more expensive, but much, much stronger than nylon cave line and much more abrasion resistant.

some good ideas, and it got me thinking.

what about tying a float on the rope about 10 feet from the surface float (just enough to float the rope). Then if you got some slack in the rope, the float would pull it away from you. Perhaps a floating rope might accomplish the same thing though.

I love dive flags. I like having the chase boat there when I surface after a drift dive.
I also hate dive flags. In a current they will drag you preventing you from stopping. Boats will use them as targets.
The line is a pain. I never clip it off except for task where I need both hands. At least one diver that I know has been given a free ride when a passing boat snagged his flag.
I use a spool for my flag line. They are small, inexpensive, and easy to use.
In locations where boaters do not encounter divers often, posting the law at the boat ramps may help. Something cheap that you will not miss when it disappears.
Ed

DumpsterDiver, could you provide a picture of this arrangement? I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

some good ideas, and it got me thinking.

what about tying a float on the rope about 10 feet from the surface float (just enough to float the rope). Then if you got some slack in the rope, the float would pull it away from you. Perhaps a floating rope might accomplish the same thing though.

If you are not using a reel, then you absolutely must be using a floating rope. Polypro line is cheap and strong and yellow is high vis and it floats.

1/4 in. x 100 ft. Hollow-Braid Poly Rope Yellow-14079 at The Home Depot

As for the question of how to use the tubing..... Run a piece of very heavy monofilament (stiff) fishing line through the hose (or air line hose).. then use it to pull the rope through. Tie a loop at the end and use that to secure the small grappling hook. The hose goes to the end of the rope at the hook. At the other end of the hose/tubing.. just tie a knot in the rope and this prevents the hose from sliding up... 6-7 feet is probably long enough.

I know that several people take a scrap of a pool noodle maybe 6 inches long and tie it to the rope about 20 feet from the grappling hook. It doesn't really provide floatation, but it serves 2 purposes:

1: If you leave the float and come back looking for it underwater, sometimes the float suspended in the water is easier to see.

2: When you are ascending with the rope, the dive tender in the boat knows you are at a depth of 20 feet when he sees the small pool noodle float thingy hit the surface.

I don't tow a dive flag anymore.. I generally tow this float.. it has less drag than a dive float that sticks straight up and it has some flotation in an emergency and it is super tough, I drag it under bridges etc.

mhhfr_exp.jpg

I use a reel with a firm locking mechanism. I thread this float through a piece of rope about 30" long between a snap bolt and the reel. When I stop the reel floats away from me so it does not get tangled and there is constant tension on the rope between me and the reel.

Pool Float.jpg

So you are all talking about not even having the dive flag rope wrapped from the start of the dive? I was talking about shore diving where I have to constantly unwap during descent and wrap during ascent. I suppose having a thick polypro line entirely loose right from shore makes sense because it will float on the surface until you descend. IE:If I have a 100 ft polypro line and dive to 60 ft, then 40 ft of that line should remain on the surface.
I think I will give this a try.

To Liquid pleasure- I just saw the picture of the pool line float. That make a lot of sense
Thank you

I love dive flags. I like having the chase boat there when I surface after a drift dive.
I also hate dive flags. In a current they will drag you preventing you from stopping. Boats will use them as targets.
The line is a pain. I never clip it off except for task where I need both hands. At least one diver that I know has been given a free ride when a passing boat snagged his flag.
I use a spool for my flag line. They are small, inexpensive, and easy to use.
In locations where boaters do not encounter divers often, posting the law at the boat ramps may help. Something cheap that you will not miss when it disappears.
Ed

I think boaters could be a little more considerate when stealing a dive flag, they could at least cut the line :)

stole the flag and placed a empty beer can on the fiberglass rod....damn rednecks....no worse feeling then dragging a stupid flag around only to surface to find you had been advertising for Natural Light....n

That is hilarious... I'm sure you didn't think so at the time and could have been dangerous... but you have to admit it's pretty funny.

Back
Top Bottom