Advice on beginner video kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I used 1080P but in the medium angle of view. My thinking was I will mostly be watching the videos on a big screen so I thought the 1080P would look the best. I switched to the medium angle after the first dive cause it seemed like the wide angle was too wide for some reason. But, I think next time I might do both and compare.

@ irishtn - Great call on shooting 1080p since you're watching your on the big screen. Also noticed you used the medium FOV setting, helped eliminate more of the fish-eye effect. Nice work! What application did you use to cut your segment of video?

@ irishtn - Great call on shooting 1080p since you're watching your on the big screen. Also noticed you used the medium FOV setting, helped eliminate more of the fish-eye effect. Nice work! What application did you use to cut your segment of video?

I bought Sony Vegas HD. I haven't exactly figured it out yet. Hopefully I can figure it out and get some more videos up. The white balance/color correcting aspect is what everyone seems to say needs to be fixed on UW videos but I'm having issues with that. It looks like a good program though. I just am new to this stuff so the terms don't mean anything to me. But its fun messing around with it.

Post, I didn't even know there was a way to fix it during filming. In looking around at videos before vacation I read some things talking about the need to correct white balance and adding back in color afterwards using software, but for me its been difficult. I'm used to photography and it seems alot easier to fix things in pictures than on video. Someone told me to just keep messing around with it until it looks better but I wish there was an easier way. But I've only had the software for a few days so maybe the more I use it, I will be able to figure it out better.

I have the same issue. I have no idea how to do color correction/white balancing etc. Need an underwater video editing for beginners book. I downloaded the free trials of the vegas software and another one. Messed with stuff a bit, not its totally random.

Like you said, I don't even know what most of the terms they use mean.

.... I'm used to photography and it seems alot easier to fix things in pictures than on video. Someone told me to just keep messing around with it until it looks better but I wish there was an easier way. But I've only had the software for a few days so maybe the more I use it, I will be able to figure it out better.

For better results, try the 3 color wheel correction. Start with the lows and highs. Try not to alter the mids too much.

One of the reasons photo color correction is easier than video is because video consists of 30-60 photos for every 1 second of video. Take a 30 second clip of video shot at 30p. Your editing program is color correcting 900 photos.

I found this on Amazon for the Vegas software. The book for the version 10 of the software got very good reviews. The book was updated for version 11.

http://www.amazon.com/Muvipix-com-Guide-Vegas-Studio-Platinum/dp/1463796749/ref=cm_wl_cp_al_pt

Also I found this book. Its by a guy who runs courses on underwater video and editing.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Underwater-Wildlife-Video-Editing/dp/0755213947

No description of the book or reviews so far.

@ ronscuba...great tip, I will try it out and see how it turns out. Should I let the white balance alone for now, focus more on the colors?
@wolvan...that might be something I should invest in. I'm hoping I can learn and get better and better.

Back
Top Bottom