GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always shoot in 720p x 60 (R3) for a few reasons.

- I know where I'm going to show my video. Since I display my video on my computer or online I don't need the 1080p resolution. There is very little difference watching 720p vs 1080p on a 40 inch tv. ( I know my audieance)
- Having 60 frames to play with (R3) vs 30 frames (R5) provides a better solution to manipulate the video during post. Slow motion or speeding the video up leads to some great effects. So it's always better to have more frames.
- I also get a cleaner video while shooting a moving object or if I'm moving in R3 mode.

Mode depends on the type of shooting I plan on doing. Know your audience and produce your video prior to shooting. Hope this helps?

Of course this helps, thanks a lot for your info Aquapro
I haven´t edit anything yet, but i have been scootering a wreck with my hero atached to the scooter in 1080 and does not look very good....
Sometimes, quite deep (close to -50m) with low visibility have some weird effects on the video, like image or part of the image getting red when the camera is close to my torch´light, especially in 720p60fps, anyone has seen the same?

@ Juandiman - Most cameras struggle with low light situations, then factor motion into the equation. Not exactly sure I fully understand "image getting red" but there are a few things you might look at.

A faster class SD card. I use a class 10 SD card. With my HERO2.
Stop your motion and see if you get the same effect.
Check to see if your torch might be reflecting light back into the camera lens.

Question? Is it happening when you're doing wide angle and macro work? Or just one or the other?

Has anyone tried BackScatter's Solution? they have a Magic filter color correction wet option. That looks handy. Be nice to just shoot topside, boat, etc. then add the filter once in the water.

Backscatter Custom GoPro Underwater Housing Blur Fix Glass lens and Underwater Removable Filter Mount

Backscatter option looks nice, but it's pretty expensive.

You can always shoot topside without the housing.

If you don't already own a GoPro, you could buy it from Mako with their free flat port and use a cheap, easy to install/remove, drop in filter. You might find this option gives you everything you want. If it doesn't, you could then buy an EOM, BlurFix, Backscatter housing.

Wonder how well a piece of,plastic lens will do after a few dives. It looks like a neat solution but to be honest I either do deep or not deep dives - on deep dives I use a clear lens and on shallower dives I use the cyan correction lens but I don't really ever have a need to switch mid-dive. I really don't like the fact that their lens filter is,plastic. For the price it should be glass.

The one issue I see with the backscatter option is that it doesn't keep the stock round lens like the Blurfix which is a very similar type design.

If you keep the lens clean it doesn't have any negative impact on the video when I compare it to the EOM and Occulus flat fixes that I have without the round lens.

The added safety of keeping the original lens is a great safety feature which makes the flat fix independent of the original housing in case something ever goes wrong there.

I'm liking the Snake River version now also, I agree that the quality of the glass filters is a major plus. And the desiccant beads. Although I see they're currently out of stock on the pre-mounted housings and the package deals they had on their site are no longer listed. (cy filter, pre-mounted housing, etc.) I liked the idea of having an extra underwater housing without the blurfix for just hitting the beach, snorkeling etc. Guess I can just order an extra one or pick one up at Best Buy as I see they carry them locally.

I plan on using my Hero 2 in depths less then 100 ft (off Ambergris Caye), and will have a wide angle 220 lumens torch (not the best but all I can afford at this time). And will probably get the cy filter, although need to decide if I need the shallow cy or regular cy filter...

I'd be curious to know if others are using the GoPro anti-fog inserts?

Back
Top Bottom