Managing limited weight limit on 3 day trip to gbr in July.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chs8084

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I will be doing the three day spirit of freedom trip in July 2012 and are a bit nervous about how to manage the 45 lb weight limit. I know that I can leave what I don't need for the boat at their office in Cairns but still, it seems dicey, Unless we can pack several mesh bags each. We were planning to bring drysuits but now many need to rethink that ( we have 7 mm and 3 mm and don't really want to buy 5mm suits) and I get cold pretty easily. This is part of 3 weeks down under so advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The luggage is safe at the office and you can only take 25kg (about 14lb I think) on the plane up.
You definately wont need dry suits! Even if yo get cold is is still about 22deg C in July. 5mm shorites are provided so get a 3mm steamer if you have to and wear the 5mm over the top. Also a hooded vest works wonders

Is there a limit to the number of bags that fit within that weight? Some local folks who have done that trip recommended diving dry but it is seeming like weight limits will preclude that.

....um 25Kg is 55 pounds - not 14.

Not sure what you are taking for a three day trip that would weigh in at more than 50 lb. Something to remember, you only need minimal clothing on a liveaboard. You won't be leaving the boat, and tshirts and bathing suits are the dress code. (I don't even wear shoes, but that is a preference.) Leave pretty much everything else behind.

Having said that camera gear can weigh a lot.

dry suits?

boardies and a rashie or a 3mm is all you need. Diving in August it was 24 degrees (i wore either my 5/7 for the night dives as I was starting to get tired from all the diving or boardies and a 1mm insulated rash shirt). the only reason I wore the 5/7 was due to me being a precious about hire suits and not wanting wear one, leaving my shiny new 5/7 semi dry in my bag. i would have been FAR more comfortable in a 3mm.

it's going to be nice and warm on the boat, so if you do get cold easily, it's quite easy to get out of the wetsuit and head up to the sun baking area between dives.

Enjoy your trip on the boat. I loved it when I did it.

Im with Bracko on this, you dont need a dry suit. Most times im in boardies/rash vest or rash vest/wetsuit shorts. If you feel the cold 3mm shortie.

Your gear you dont take will be safe at the office, just dont leave anything you think is valuable eg ipod, etc.
If it wasnt safe to leave gear there then people would know about it. Boards like this and a small diving community, negative things can get around fast and I have never heard negative things about these guys only positive.

The camera equipment weighs a bunch, almost 20 lbs with all the accessories, and I will have a laptop with me and I would prefer not to leave that behind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a 3 or 5mm up there. I feel the cold a lot and I'm fine with a 5 in winter.

Oh and shoes aren't a preference, the boat will have you take them off!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom