Sailfish!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very impressive, and beautiful animals. Thanks for sharing them, and the info. on the excursion seeing them.

Richard.

There are a few operators running this type of trip with the prices ranging from 900/day...to upwards of 1500 depending on the boat size. I did not see the 10k mark. Keep in mind though you are going out in a "fishing" area and the fisherman are top in the pecking order. The responsible captains will keep a wide berth from the fishing fleet and try to find a good spot though there was cooperation even with the fishing vessels giving time for the divers to jump in. I think the captain's individual relationships had alot to do with those circumstances.

Dive flags don't really mean anything in these circumstances so there is a different feel to traditional diving/snorkeling.

Things can change from year to year but the reputable captains stick around. Message me for individual recommendations if you would like. Id be happy to answer any other questions. In a few weeks I should have the video up which I hope will further show the magnificence of these spectacular fish.

You need not pay those sorts of prices and you do not have to be on a boat with "fishing" mindset.

I am offering a trip for photographing sailfish. I have lead this for a few years now for Japanese guests. We use a very friendly and professional operator who we also use for Whale Sharks. They are conservation minded and love photographers. They also own a nice hotel which is convenient so my price includes both the boat and hotel. We are out for 5 days since it is hit and miss, and the boat is limited to just 5 or 4 on the smallest boat. My price is $3,500 I have the boat all of January 2013. One space left for Jan 14 - 20 and some spaces still on the other weeks.
Gregory Sweeney Photography and Photography Tours to Africa, Whale Sharks, Manatees, Tiger Sharks.

You need not pay those sorts of prices and you do not have to be on a boat with "fishing" mindset.

I am offering a trip for photographing sailfish. I have lead this for a few years now for Japanese guests. We use a very friendly and professional operator who we also use for Whale Sharks. They are conservation minded and love photographers. They also own a nice hotel which is convenient so my price includes both the boat and hotel. We are out for 5 days since it is hit and miss, and the boat is limited to just 5 or 4 on the smallest boat. My price is $3,500 I have the boat all of January 2013. One space left for Jan 14 - 20 and some spaces still on the other weeks.
Gregory Sweeney Photography and Photography Tours to Africa, Whale Sharks, Manatees, Tiger Sharks.

Not sure if you were referring to the 10k price that another poster listed or the $900 price I did. Your price seems to be comparable to what was available in the area, considering it was just my wife and myself on the boat (I don't want any extras) and the hotel is a great touch (though I wouldn't want a shared room if I were single). As far as "fishing" mindset, the comment was not made about the boat I was on, rather the fleet that was in the area as diving with the sailfish is still relatively new and not viewed warmly by all the local fisherman/captains. Though I expect it will turn into the same type of activity that the whale sharks have fostered in that area in a few years. The responsible captain's know how to avoid the heavily fished areas and give the photogs the best opportunity in the water. And I'm sure the charter you use does the same (and it very well may be the same captain). For 4 days in the water I have over 1000 stills and about 2.5 hrs of video, so we were very fortunate. I didn't want to turn this thread into an advertisement but for those looking to book a trip, I'll happily share who I used via PM. And looking at Sharkphoto's web page, he has some great stuff as well so anyone couldn't go wrong there.

Bottom line: Sailfish=Must Do!

For the last year or so I have been thinking about going out to see sailfish. Your photos are simply amazing. Thanks for sharing. Sailfish and whalesharks, time to start a new bucket list.

For the last year or so I have been thinking about going out to see sailfish. Your photos are simply amazing. Thanks for sharing. Sailfish and whalesharks, time to start a new bucket list.

Yep, that's exactly what my wife and I thought before going (crossing some things off our must-do list). It's a great island as well, easy to get to from Cancun, and the prices are reasonable. Thanks for the comments.
JD

thnx for sharing

Back
Top Bottom