New Oly M4/3 camera + housing coming!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just ordered the camera with the 12-50 from Amazon. Im not too worried about the 12-50 working in the housing because i will probably just get the Zen port. But as an FYI there is a very cool article that talks about how people are using wet ports on the EPL-3 equivalent housings with the kit lens. I researched it a bit and it makes sense. Inon developed the 28 series wet mounts and 100 degree WA lenses for the point and shoot cameras that have an effective 28mm focal length. It seems that these cameras in the Oly housing have the lens pushed up against the port at 14mm (effective 28) so you can just screw on the Inon 100 degree WA lens and boom you have a wide angle solution. Im not sure if anyone knows for sure if this was on purpose or just dumb luck..

Here is the article
REVIEW: OLYMPUS PT-EP05L HOUSING AND E-PL3 CAMERA | Deepshots

View attachment 115223This is the correct image for the PT-E08 housing for the E-M5 camera. I am happy to see the head lights have been removed. My guess is the stock port will be for the 14-42 zoom. The 12-50 is longer and at the 12mm end would suffer behind the flat port.

Phil Rudin

OlympusPT-EP08.jpg

Last edited:
Phill it appears there is no threaded adapter so the "easy" wet lens add-on to the stock 14mm is not really an option. Is shooting the straight 14mm behind the flat port even worth-wild?

Phil, do you think the housing will be much bigger compared to pt-ep series?
Hope oly will make zx2 with MFT sensor like canon g1x

Hi Phil,
Can you confirm that Zen will be making a port for the 60mm macro lens?
I agree that it will be worth waiting for but not if it's going to take forever to be released?
It might be a better option to get the Panasonic in the meantime?
Bruce

Last edited:
Oooh, they finally announced a macro lens to boot! OK, I was about to order a zen macro port for my EPL2, but now i'm wondering if I should upgrade housings to a nauticam... and upgrade camera while i'm at it...

I saw this thread and was really skeptical, partly because Olympus seems to be running out of steam due to the financial distractions, and partly because Olympus 4/3 cameras and especially lenses are quite expensive relative to compact DSLR cameras from Canon and Nikon. You can buy 16-18MP DSLRs from either for about half what Olympus is charging. Housings for them are similar in cost from Nauticam, Aquatica (although the native Olympus housings are usually good bargains). I do like the styling of the new Olympus, but I wonder why they have a prism hump on a mirrorless body. Apparently they are trying for the much loved OM look. I wonder how many of today's buyers even remember the OM film cameras?

I do like the styling of this new Olympus offering, but it is selling at $1100 including lens. A Canon T2i with lens is about $580. Lenses are much less expensive for Canon and Nikon, and there are many more choices of lenses.

I'm a fan of Olympus E-PLX cameras, but only at more reasonable prices. The earlier E-PL2 model seems to me to be a better bargain, and with the Oly housing is quite moderately priced for underwater. Sorry to be a curmudgeon guys, I just hate the apparent price gouging for this latest offering.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=olympus+e+m5&x=0&y=0#/ref=sr_st?keywords=olympus+e-m5+camera&qid=1328709285&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Aolympus+e-m5+camera&sort=-price

Olympus E-M5.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom