Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is something new we haven't seen before from the news article quoted:

"It has become less likely Watson will testify at the trial. He is relying on defence witnesses who claim an overweighted Tina died from regulator overbreathing and salt water aspiration and Dr Stutz was confused."

I would like to see this same witness explain how it is physically possible that Tina (18 pounds) could sink faster an even heavier-weighted Watson (30 pounds!) when she was only ten feet under him and he's kicking like crazy and she isn't. She is holding her arms up to him, begging him with her eyes to save her (as he stated). Please try to imagine this absolutely ridiculous scenario under water. So he's got plenty of air, first dive of the trip, just got in the water, no deco danger, but he leaves anyway.

I still go back to Watson's statement that he knew that by leaving Tina he would probably never see her again. Which means he was aware of what he was doing. Only seven minutes into the dive, he had plenty of air. He never claimed that he was panicing for his own survival. I believe there will be a problem if he does not get up and testify about his statements to Queensland police and change his story somehow. There are too many things in his statements that he cannot let stand and he needs look the jury in the eye and explain them. This is assuming that his statements to Queensland police will be admissable. If not, then he probably has a chance. His own words are really the most damning evidence in this case, beyond the circumstantial evidence.

Good luck in trying to impeach the testimony of an emergency room doctor (Dr. Stutz) who is a highly trained observer, trying to say that he is confused.

There were 4 experienced divers on the dive who witnessed enough of what happened to believe that Tina's death was no accident, and they traveled to Alabama to tell Tina's parents their concerns. Lets see what comes out in the trial.

Around and Around we go and where it'll stop nobody knows *sigh* I am not going to repeat myself.

All I have to say is that I am glad "Justice" isn't meted out based on "Gut reaction" My "Gut" is really playing up today :hm: maybe I shouldn't make any earth shattering decisions until it settles down a bit!

Facts and solid evidence are what is needed not emotional second guessing, imaginings and blind acceptance of opinions. It has been proven how witness statements and "memories" are influenced to change over time. Imaginings and the "false memories" they have created have led to well meaning people destroying lives...

Last edited:
Around and Around we go and where it'll stop nobody knows *sigh* I am not going to repeat myself.

All I have to say is that I am glad "Justice" isn't meted out based on "Gut reaction" My "Gut" is really playing up today :hmm: maybe I shouldn't make any earth shattering decisions until it settles down a bit!

Facts and solid evidence are what is needed not emotional second guessing, imaginings and blind acceptance of opinions. It has been proven how witness statements and "memories" are influenced to change over time. Imaginings and the "false memories" they have created have led to well meaning people destroying lives...

Not to mention the fact that when people start with a preconceived idea of guilt or innocence they'll tend to over-weight anything which appears to support their view and discount everything else. When this happens early on in an investigation it seems to routinely result in wrongful convictions and/or mistrials etc.

Last edited:
Thanks.. interesting read but I think I will take it in separate sessions! Found the one about Carol interesting. We saw a recently placed plaque dedicated to her when we dived BI today. So sad.....

Honeymoon dive murder trial next week | The Courier-Mail

Tina's family feel they have a case. There are those of us who have had dealings with Gabe who don't trust him as far as I could throw him, and I'm not a family member. Being a jerk doesn't make you a killer, but if court cases were settled on gut instinct Gabe would never see the light of day again.

There are a lot of posts to go back and read, but quite awhile back, I conjectured (based on teaching and diving with thousands of new students) that Gabe was dishonest in that he presented himself as a competent diver, when in fact he was very inexperienced and hadn't actually been diving in a long time.
When Tina panicked, Gabe was unable to summon the courage to save her. He was paralyzed with indecision and slowly made his way to the surface. He was rightly convicted of negligence and manslaughter, but not murder. She was talked into getting certified and doing the dives because Gabe said that he would take care of her. In reality, he couldn't even take care of himself. So he was a coward, a liar, incompetent, etc., but not a murderer. I don't know!!.. maybe he did premeditate and murder her, but I really doubt it, and in court a jury has to be convinced beyond reasonable doubt.

I have seen numerous people barely get through confined water training, get certified in a calm open water environment with much help from the Instructor, and then completely freeze when they actually do their first few open water dives on their own. I've seen Advanced Open Water divers overbreath their regulators. This can result in the diver inhaling water around the outside of the mouth piece and/or hypercapnia, which can lead to the diver becoming even more desperate for air and passing out.

In all of the reading that I have done on this case, the picture of Gabe that comes to mind, is of a big guy who fancies himself a hot shot. He compensates lack of intellect, skill, and charisma with BS. His story changes to protect his image and his self worth. The character flaws make him an a$$, but not a murderer.

In all of the reading that I have done on this case, the picture of Gabe that comes to mind, is of a big guy who fancies himself a hot shot. He compensates lack of intellect, skill, and charisma with BS. His story changes to protect his image and his self worth. The character flaws make him an a$$, but not a murderer.
Whether he is an ass or not is up to personal opinion, but I like your appraisal. I doubt he had the diver ability to pull off the alleged crime.

Back
Top Bottom