Speargun recomendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MM Diver

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,
I am in the market for my first speargun. I dive 60' to 100'. Will be hunting in southeast Florida on bottom over reefs and wrecks. Target will be Hogfish, grouper, snapper. I have searched the forum for this topic and educated myself a bit. Would like to spend $300 tops.

Looking for make and model you guys would get if in my shoes.
Thanks for the assistance.

Talk to Dano at Mako Spearguns. Top quality guns and he will customize one to suit you. best customer service I have ever seen!!

The best scuba gun for a beginner is a wood AB biller style gun 48-52". They can be bought relatively cheap on craigslist, ebay, or one of the forums.
They can be rigged for freeshafting or lineshafting. You may also wish to look at one of the dedicated spearfishing forums like spearboard or spearfishingplanet

The best gun for freediving is probably a pipegun made by Mako, Omer, beauchat, aimrite or any number of other good manufacturers.

The best scuba gun for a beginner is a wood AB biller style gun 48-52". They can be bought relatively cheap on craigslist, ebay, or one of the forums.
They can be rigged for freeshafting or lineshafting. You may also wish to look at one of the dedicated spearfishing forums like spearboard or spearfishingplanet

The best gun for freediving is probably a pipegun made by Mako, Omer, beauchat, aimrite or any number of other good manufacturers.

Your answer seems to imply that the best gun for a beginning scuba diver is made of wood and the best for a freediver is a "pipegun" which are usually made with an aluminum barrel.

Why do you feel that different types of guns are necessary for scuba versus freediving?

Your answer seems to imply that the best gun for a beginning scuba diver is made of wood and the best for a freediver is a "pipegun" which are usually made with an aluminum barrel.

Pipeguns can be made with aluminum or carbon fiber.

The reason for my recommendation (besides experience) is mainly weight and maneuverability.

When scuba diving you have a little more time to stalk and certainly more time to get your gun in position. With a wood gun you also have more ability to customize such as additional shaft holders and shafts, flashlight holder, ppd holder, clips, etc.
When you are freediving you do not need, nor do you want, any added weight you dont need. Pipeguns are more maneuverable which allows for quicker shots. Being able to do things a wee bit faster is essential when freediving when you are limited to the time you can hold your breath.

Pipeguns can be made with aluminum or carbon fiber.

The reason for my recommendation (besides experience) is mainly weight and maneuverability.

When scuba diving you have a little more time to stalk and certainly more time to get your gun in position. With a wood gun you also have more ability to customize such as additional shaft holders and shafts, flashlight holder, ppd holder, clips, etc.
When you are freediving you do not need, nor do you want, any added weight you dont need. Pipeguns are more maneuverable which allows for quicker shots. Being able to do things a wee bit faster is essential when freediving when you are limited to the time you can hold your breath.

I use "pipe guns" for freediving and scuba diving both. I don't normally feel the need to weight my gun down with an extra shafts, even when scuba diving. Also there are options now for light holders on pipe guns.

I use "pipe guns" for freediving and scuba diving both. I don't normally feel the need to weight my gun down with an extra shafts, even when scuba diving. Also there are options now for light holders on pipe guns.

Thats the great thing about spearguns... they all kill fish!
But, while carrying a gun with no extra shafts may be a little more comfortable, 1 shaft can/will bend or break eventually...
And when your on that 1 dive where big ole fish are everywhere, ya may find yourself wishing you had that spare because those fish will probably be gone by the time you swim back to the boat for a spare.

It's also nice to have another arrow in your quiver to finish that trophy fish that might be dragging you around the ocean as well.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom