Leaking bladder on Mares Icon Mrs Plus BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishstalker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Mares Team

I like my Mares Icon Mrs Plus BCD very much. Unfortunately, after only 2 years and ~100 dives, the bladder has developed a small leak. The bladder part looks to be easily removable (and so exchangeable for new), but the local dealers (Singapore) are not being very helpful. Can I buy a new bladder direct from Mares and how can I do this ?

Thanks

Leigh aka "Fishstalker"

It might be quicker and easier to just find the leak yourself and put some aquaseal on it. I did this recently with a Dive Rite bladder.

Hi Dsix36,

Thought about that.....the leak is right in a stitching seam. Not complaining about Mares Quality Control, but my belief is that the stitching in the bladder cover got a little to close to the bladder itself. Given this, I'd rather just change the bladder itself...if someone from Mares willhelp wme with that.

Happy diving......

My gf has had 2 Mares BCDs leak from the stitching from the top part of the BCD directly behind her head. It's annoying to say the least. The first occurred after less than 20 dives and was replaced. The replacement leaked after less than 50. We Aquasealed it, but bought another BCD and won;'t touch Mares BCDs again.

Hi Supergaijin

This unfortunately for Mares seems to be a common theme..... leak from stitching at top of BCD behind the head. With luck someone from Mares QC will pick up on this. At the moment, I look like a poster child for Mares.....Mares BCD,regulators, octopus, fins, computer etc. If someone from Mares helps me replace the bladder, this will remain. Otherwise I have a choice of two replacements, neither of which are Mares.

Hi Fishstalker. Well I apologize for the delayed response, I've been away from the board for a while and haven't been receiving notifications of activity. This is a tough one for serveral reasons. A) you are in Singapore and this is way out of the U.S. realm of responsibility. So I can't do much with it.

B) The Icon is a discontinued bcd, we don't have any in the U.S., can't speak for Singapore.
C) The bladder cannot be purchased separately. This is something that has never been available as a part. Generally speaking if a bladder failed they would replace the entire bcd. There are reasons for this that don't really matter so I wont go into detail.

The bcd has a full 2 year warranty if purchased from an authorized Mares dealer. I strongly recommend you take it to the dealer you purchased from and try to work out an equitable arrangement. If the bcd is still in warranty, there should be no problem at all. If not, then I would try to reasonably work something out with the dealer, or try another.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Best,
Zak

Hi, I'm planning of buying Mares Icon or Mares Dragon, Can somebody tell me why is dragon considered better than Icon? As much I have read Icon seems better and cheaper than dragon, But it's discontinued now. Does this mean I will problem with getting it repaired or something like that.

Thank you, Buying first BCD want to make sure I get the right one.

Hi Ahmed,

I did eventually get my Icon repaired (with excellant support from Mares) and am still using it and very happy with it. The Icon IS discontinued and it is a 'travel' BCD (ie lightweight). Given a choice, between the two, I'd probably buy the Dragon, unless the Icon was a LOT cheaper. Safe diving....Fishstalker

Ahmed, Both BCDS are excellent. They are uniquely different; perhaps the question should be do you like back inflate (low profile), or jacket style excellent bouyancy and comfort? As I mentioned previously, the warranty stands for discontinued products or still in production products. If a BC is out of production and a warranty claim is made, we will either repair or replace with a like product.

At the end of the day, I think you should be purchasing the bcd that suits your diving style, and comfort level rather than be concerned about repairability. I do understand your concern though, but rest assured, if purchased through an authorized Mares dealer your warranty is valid on either.

Best regards,

Zak

So I have bought Mares Icon, I'm just wondering If I need to register it somewhere and How do I know if it's brand new and Under warranty, If I give you the serial no or something can you tell?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom