To buy an external strobe or the sealife 1400pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mclougs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I was wondering the camera i have is a sony cybershot with an underwater housing. Im thinking about getting an external strobe for it or should i just buy the sea life 1400pro since its made for underwater. The pictures i take the reds are not bad looking but the underwater greens and most shots look lacking. Im wondering should i buy a strobe or just buy and underwater camera with strobe like the sea life 1400pro. Im no pro photographer by any means just wondering what will make a differences and also not looking to spend alot either. The sony cybershot is a decent camera on land and the underwater housing does give me some flash from the camera itself just looking to get better color and realistic looking shots not washed out ones. Hope this makes sense and thanks for the replys in advance.
Sean

I love my DC1400 with dual strobes. Plus it has the added benefit of shooting HD video.

I've been debating the same issue for the past year. I have a Canon point and shoot with a housing that performs very well both above and underwater. It even has an underwater mode to reduce blue-green hue. Its strobe is fine for closeups and the video is good as well, but I want more strobe power and would like to place it off-center to reduce scatter effects. I've looked at Sea & Sea strobes ($$) and the Sealife line of camera/strobe combinations. The quality of the S&S strobe is excellent and seems to exceed the general quality of the Sealife cameras and strobes. Sealife's customer support is excellent however. I'm afraid that if I buy the DC1400, I'm just going to have another point and shoot with a medium quality strobe. All things considered, I'm likely going to get a S&S strobe, then move up to a camera that can shoot RAW in the future.

i would get the sealife 1400 pro
i have a sealife dc1200 with strobe and i absolutely love it

Hi man I have a Sealife DC1200 but have opted to use Sea and Sea YS-02 strobes just because the are better setup for the optical cable to plug into. My wife also uses a DC1200 but she has the Sealife strobe on it, one advantage of that strobe is that it has TTL which is good to get the lighting right only di-advantage the tray that it comes with has a very short strobe arm on it, we have made it longer by adding a few extra segments to the flexable arm.

One should point out that the Sea and Sea YS-01 strobe also has TTL, albeit at an increased cost compared to the YS-02 strobe.

I would say it would depend on how old the cybershot is that you're using. If it's fairly new, it might be a better and/or cheaper option to just get a strobe, such as the Intova ISS4000 with the PX-35 cable, tray, and flex arm.

The Sealife pro flash itself is also an option, but it's a little more expensive and as mentioned, the flex arm is shorter and the tray doesn't offer much potential for upgrades or addons in the future.

Back
Top Bottom