Going to Oahu in March! Any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteLightning

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be on Oahu in March for a little over a week. I'd like to get in a few dives. One 'goal', if you want to call it that, is to high-five a reef shark. (maybe not literally...) I'm looking to charter one or two dives, and maybe get a few shore dives in.

Can anyone recommend a decent charter to go with? Also, any good spots with a high probability of seeing a few sharks?

I'd heard Shark's Cove is a good one, but it's on the North Shore. I'm pretty sure we're in the big-wave season. Is Shark's Cove still accessible? If not, I'm going in September and can try to get in at that time.

Could someone also recommend a good shore entry site?

Thanks,

Bill

Aloha Bill....

Sharks are hit and miss but check the video I posted a few days ago. On the nearshore sites the most reliable spot would be the wreck of the YO 257 or somewhere along China Wall. Let me know more about your plans. As far as shore diving goes, you may be limited to Electric Beach at that time of year. If you are a fairly confident diver with good navigation skills this shouldn't be too hard. Hanauma Bay, Blow Hole and Lanai lookout are good but you will need a guide.

Anything else, just ask!

G

I'll recommend you call Gabe. He has a great crew that loves their job, knows the sites, and has fun, all while being professional. They are able to dive all over the island, too.

I second Lonebrave's sentiments. You really can't beat Gabe's operation, especially if you want to see sharks. There are a few spots to see white tips from shore, but they can be somewhat treacherous and tough to find if you have never been there before.

Thanks for the shout outs guys....... We are looking to do a few more fun Shark Dives in the next few months. Until then, lots of cool stuff for our guests to enjoy (whales, night dives?, exploratory dives and Double Wreck Charters).

Lots of details on the FOKD Facebook Page!

ALOHA.....

G

I should also add that my wife and I did our dives with Gabe's operation on our recent trip to Oahu, and we had a great time. Thanks Gabe, and also special thanks to Liv who showed us around the dive sites, she was a great guide and a lot of fun to dive with.

Hey Whitelightning,
First congrats on the trip to Hawaii! I'm totally jealous.
Secondly and most importantly, I wouldn't go to Hawaii without diving with Gabe. I've been out there twice and dove with him both times. Wouldn't have been as awesome with anyone else. You can't go wrong there. He'll take great care of you and you wont be disappointed!
Gabe and his crew are the best around.. hands down.
And don't miss Matsumotos on the North Shore! www.matsumotoshaveice.com
Have a blast and don't forget to tel us how it was! I'm living vicariously through you! :)

Back
Top Bottom